• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

School boy

Started by Johnboy, October 26, 2009, 09:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Looking good Johnboy!  For some reason the levels on this photo are so hard to correct but you have done an amazing job.
I have one more suggestion and that is to lower the overall saturation just a little.  I may have done it too much but just to show you what I mean, what do you think?

:up:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hannie & JB

I think the saturation could come down a bit, but, Hannie, I think the amount of saturation in your example makes him look sallow.  I don't think I'd go that far.  Wonderful job, JB.  He looks mighty fine.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Thanks Hannie & Glenna. I have been using Glenna's technique for color balance ever since I read about it. In fact I printed it off so I can refer to it. I made selections for the sweater, background and face and did some localized Levels, Color Balance, and other adjustments on those before I started the repair work. There were other tweaks as I worked. For me the key was getting the 5x7 right. I made comparisons between the two on color with the goal in mind of stealing parts from the 5x7. I will say that worked much better on this than it did for the wedding couple. I image this is a school picture and they are usually gang printed at one time so the color should be the same on both other than for the flood damage.

On this version I have burned in the collar a bit. Something I wanted to do but forgot before the last post. I think it makes the collar look a little better. Then I put in a Hue/Saturation layer and dropped the Saturation to -10. So I think I am ready for another look.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Johnboy

kiska

You might try this to calm the yellow down.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Johnboy

Kiska I made the Selective Color adjustment layer but not quite to your numbers, but close judging from what I am seeing on my monitor. I had been playing trying to get rid of a blue tint in the shadows on the neck on the viewer left (-6 on the Color Balance Yellow/Blue slider). Then I was playing with the Highlights in Color Balance and probably got too much yellow in that. So I removed those settings. I am not sure what he will look like in the forum post but he does look better on my screen. Thanks for the suggestion.

Johnboy

PS He does look darker when I preview the post than he does on my screen.

Hannie

Send this boy home Johnboy!

great job,

:wnw:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Mighty fine, JB.  He looks great, and I'm sure his family will be so happy to have him home.
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Thanks Hannie and Glenna. I'll get his backpack ready and send him on.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Great job, Johnboy!  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]