• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Work in progress, how bad is it?

Started by MB, November 15, 2009, 08:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MB

I don not think I am doing a good job with the reconstruction of the face.  I have fixed the right eye several times and it does not look good.   Details of the upper and bottom eyelids are gone.  I need suggestions on the right eye.   
The nose, ....needs more work, but i don't thing is to bad.  I thought he would have a straight nose since he has very symmetrical face.
Suggestions
MB

Mhayes

Hi MB,

This is a duplicate post from October 25: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2549.msg24115.html#msg24115
I think all of the suggestions that followed your post were helpfull on this difficult photo. As to the eyes, you will see a pretty good definition on Hannie's black/white and Candice's color version. For the nose, you need to lighten up your shading and have it look more subtle. You have had some great suggestions, but the problem is putting his face together and that is dependent on your skills in reconstructing.

I would suggest getting Katrin Eismann's book on Photoshop Restoration & Retouching (there are other great books) and also looking at some drawing books of the human anatomy which will give you some hints on structure, shading, and light source. Some things are easy to give instructions on how to restore and others need a strong foundation in PhotoShop skills before attempting. I think it is good to go for a challenging photos, but not to the point of being totally lost. Start with an easier photo and work your way up and it will be more rewarding and enjoyable for you.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

battleaxe

hi,
  you could lasso the other eye. Ctrl/Cmd C, new layer Ctrl/Cmd V,  free transform or if you have it rotate horizontal. mask and transform the eye into the destroyed eyes spot

Hope you are having fun!! ;D

Johnboy

MB, if you use the the suggestion from Battleaxe's post, I'll add a some more steps. I would suggest that you copy a generous portion around the eye. You will see later how to blend it in. After you paste the image to a new layer go to Edit>Transform and Flip Horizontal. Then lower the Opacity of the layer so you can see where you are placing the copied image. Move the copied image to line up the eye corners on one end or the other (preferred end is next to the nose but it looks like that is missing). Then Edit>Free Transform and move the Free Transform center to the the eye corner that is aligned. That way you can swing the image in relation to an anchor point to line up the rest of the eye. It may be necessary to adjust the eye size using the adjustment points. Hit return when you are aligned and bring the Opacity back to 100%. Add a  Layer>Layer Mask>Reveal All, and paint with black to blend in the copied image with the rest of the photo. Hope this helps.

Johnboy

MB

MB