• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Question about handwriting on photo

Started by PaulG, November 07, 2009, 10:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulG

Hi all,

I'm new to OPR and am working on my third restoration. This is an easy one and shouldn't take long but I have a few questions. I've been asked to leave in the writing and I wanted to know if it would be ok to get rid of the labels and make the sky go under the writing and can I straighten the writing or should I just leave the labels and writing as is?

Thanks,
Paul

lurch

I would leave the labels. They are a part of what you're restoring.
<C>

Ausimax

Hi Paul,

For a definitive answer you need your distributors OK.
My opinion I would leave the labels in, as that is how the original notation was done, besides you would be taking on a lot more work to remove them.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Paul

Welcome to OPR from Florida.

I concur with lurch and Max that the labels should be left angled and as obvious as they are in the original.  Just clean the debris from around them.  The idea is to keep the look of the original as much as possible, even "imperfections" like labels on the front of photos.  We have no idea what the significance is, so we want to keep as much integrity as possible.

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

PaulG

Thanks for the input. Labels will stay as is.

Paul

Mhayes

Hi Paul,

It's unanimous, keep the labels as they were in the original. This is from the African American archive and needs to be kept close to the original. If this was for a friend and you were retouching; it would be OK to remove.

Great to see you on the forum.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]