• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

School boy

Started by Johnboy, October 26, 2009, 09:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

This one went along pretty easy until it was time to tackle the arms. Note that there is a dark area in the lower part of both arms with a light part above it on both sides. I am not sure if it is damage or something to do with the lighting. I am thinking it is not damage because I don't see any continuation across his chest in that area. I tried darkening the arm on the viewer's left (not included in this post so you could see what is going on), but it didn't seem to darken to match the lower part. The section on the viewer right seems more persistent. I tried the same technique as on the other side with not great results. I tried a color fill using the sweater color and adjusted the opacity and did not like that at all. Soooo, what do you suggest?

What ever you suggest I hope will work for the 8x10 which does have an extremely white area of damage on that viewer left sleeve.

original

Post 1

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

PS He does not seem to look as dark in Photoshop as he does here.

glennab

Hi JB

I think what we're seeing is a soft fold in each sleeve where his arms are bent.  They somewhat coincide with the folds in the front of the sweater.  I can see a little bit lighter color below the darkest portion.  It's very subtle, but that would be my guess.

Nice - very nice - job on the restore!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Hi Glenna, glad to have you back on a more regular bases.

This post isn't giving the light areas justice. It is showing them darkened more than I see them in Photoshop.

I gave a brief thought to the fold idea and also to a shadow but the shadow is not seen in the front. I also thought it might be related to reflections from the lighter areas on the sweater. So I take it from your comment that you suggest I leave it as it is?

Johnboy

Johnboy

I tossed in a Levels adjustment and moved the midtone slightly to lighten the image. It shows the situation a little better.

As I look at it there is a sharp demarcation between the light and the dark. I could make both sleeves light by copying the good from the sleeves over the dark.

Johnboy

glennab

JB, you must see a more defined demarkation than I do.  I can't imagine what the lighter and/or darker areas might be, and you're seeing what I am - that there's no corresponding shading in the sweater front.  I'd using the healing brush and/or patch tool, blend the most noticeable areas and let it go.  I think he looks just fine.

GK

P.S. Thanks for the welcome back.  I've enjoyed being part of the forum for the last week.  I have a doozie to post before long.  Got cocky and thought it wouldn't be as difficult as it looked (a switcheroo!) and now I'm smacking myself up side the head!  At least I managed to sneak in my first easy one over the weekend just to see what that's like. Now I'll make up for that!
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

lurch

Hi Johnboy,

You sure do have good eyes! I had to zoom way in before I could see what it was you were talking about. Finally did find the dark areas you were talking about - and I can give you an easy way to take care of them. Just make yourself a luminosity layer and  dodge the dark areas away in that layer. With CS4's dodge tool I used 10% strength and set the mode to midtones. Took  about three passes to even out the tone. Simple as that.

To make a luminosity layer, use your favorite technique to make a grayscale out of the image. Copy that to a layer above your photo. Set the blending mode for that layer to luminosity. Any tone corrections made on that layer will be reflected on the main photo. Here's my quick fix:

While I was at it I tinkered with the color balance - you might want to do the same. Your restore at this point seems like it could use a smidge less saturation, and to my eye there seems to be a blue cast, especially in the dark tones. For example, I see the boy's sweater as black and gray, not blue. (This is just an opinion - it could go either way depending on where you set your white point.)
<C>

Johnboy

Thanks Glenna and Lurch. I'll play with your suggestions and get back to you.

Glenna, I think all the ones I have picked have been doozies compared to what I thought they were except for a couple. The last one I did with the bride & groom I thought I could borrow parts to fix problems. I was able to borrow a few parts but not like I thought. Good luck with the toughie.

Johnboy

Johnboy

Here is the latest on the schoolboy. I followed the suggestion from Lurch to change the color of the sweater. Once I did that I found more damage on the viewer left in the strip area of the sweater. Did a copy and paste from the good strips with a Transform horizontal flip with some Free Transformation to get it to fit. I had to paint out some of the overlap. Did the same with the viewer left collar.

Lurch, I used your Luminosity suggestion. It took a little while to figure out what was going on to get it to work. However, I found that the Color blend mode did not get me what I wanted on the sleeves. While Overlay with some Opacity adjustment seemed to work better. After I did the color adjustment on the sweater I found some yellow damage on the viewer left sleeve. Never did get rid of it but I think I have it covered up OK unless someone has another idea.

Then Glenna I used the good old Patch tool to blend out the patched edges.

This 5x7 may be ready to go home or as I hope it may be good enough to steal some portions to fix the 8x10.

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

Hannie

Johnboy, great job!  I love the skin color and the sweater also looks really good now.
The background jumps out at me a little and I wonder if you could tone it down some more towards the original color?
I tried and used the channel mixer, in the blues I set
cyan +35
magenta -12
yellow +49
black -27
You can then use the opacity slider in your layer to lessen the effect if necessary.

:up:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

:up2: All that Hannie said!!
Candice

Johnboy

Thanks for the suggestion Hannie & Candie. I have been working in RGB but tried a CYMK conversion but did not care for the results using your numbers. So I went back to RGB and played to get the background down some. I did Red +117, Green +127 & Blue +107. I also played with his face in the shadows. I kept seeing some blue so I did a Color Balance adjustment layer and lowered the Blue some in the shadows. Did the same with the front of his hair primarily in the shadows and highlight. Let me know what you think.

Johnboy

lurch

Johnboy, I think it looks great. The over-saturated background is nicely toned down, and the sweater looks much better as black and gray.
<C>

glennab

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Thanks Lurch and Glenna. Now on to the 8x10.

Johnboy

Johnboy

I think the school boys are about to go home. This is the 8x10 version. The first one was 5x7. In the 8x10, the 5x7 yielded several repair parts. With a little Free Transform they seemed to fit nicely. I used the 5x7 color to guide the color for the 8x10. Let me know what you think.

8x10 original

8x10 restore

Johnboy