• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need tech help please

Started by MichiganRob, October 15, 2009, 09:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichiganRob

I have a problem with PhotoShelter that I cannot resolve.  I see we have a brand new bunch of photos in the gallery, it's my day off and I'd like to do one but I can't because I cannot access the comments box...here's the scenario

I login to OPR and click on the photoshelter icon, photoshelter opens up, I see Hannies and Margies galleries, I select view all galleries, a new page opens, I select Hannies Gallery, a new page opens with about 20 photos, I find one I'd like to do and click on it, a new page opens but the photo I selected with the comment box never comes, this is the show? page.

This has been ongoing, I contacted Photoshelter support, they say the function works for them it must be your browser IE8 is blocking, I check my privacy settings, I aaccept cookies, everything is as it should be, still the show page wont load.

So I get a new browser, Google Chrome, great browser by the way, it seems that every other page on the internet works, but that show page wont open,  Can someone please help me, need a real tech-savvy geek here :)

Johnboy

Rob you are not doing much of anything wrong. You do need to log into Photoshelter also. Logging into OPR only gets you to the galleries. The login is the one you created when you signed up on Photoshelter. Once you are logged in and in a gallery click on the photo you want. This will enlarge the display. Under the photo is a box with the words: "leave comment" or something like that. Just click on the phrase and say you want to try that photo. I usually leave my e-mail address also. That is about it. When I am done I log out of Photoshelter.

You might download the "Official OPR Handbook" that is at the top left when you log into the forum. It will have the download instructions also, and other valuable information. The pictures may be a little different from what you see now as Photoshelter makes periodic changes to its pages but the method will be the same.

I am sure if I have something wrong someone will straighten us out. Good luck.

Johnboy

MichiganRob

Yes, thank you johnboy, i forgot to mention that I am and do always log into photoshelter, this seems to be a problem related to cookies, browsers, firewalls, something else.  I have read the official opr handbook several times it outlines the proceedures contained in your post but does not address the problem I'm having and I seem to be the only one in the world having it.  I spoke to Margie about it a couple weeks ago and she didn't know about it and she suggested photoshelter support, I contacted them and they couldn't help either, I'm out of ideas but I waant to get a photo to do!

MichiganRob

MichiganRob

Okay boys and girls, I have solved the problem. but I still don't know the why of it!  I have Norton Internet Security as my firewall and Windows xp Security Center disabled.  So I decided to switch em and see what happens...it worked. I disabled Norton and enabled Security Center and Viola!  Now I can access the Show page and leave my comment, only now I'm worried my computer is not safe, but Microsoft assures me it is, LOL

Can't wait to get started on my restore project! :)

MichiganRob

Hannie

Hi MichiganRob,

That was smart thinking on your side to disable the Norton package, so glad you were able to finally leave your comment in Photoshelter.
Sometimes I think that Microsoft doesn't always get the credit that they deserve (did I really just say that?  ::)) but their security centre works pretty smoothly.  Norton on the other hand, I have had nothing but conflict, same story with McAfee and I even had troubles with ZoneAlarm .  After I removed these programs everything runs smoothly, no more conflicts.  Of course I use a good virus scanner (Avast, freeware) and my ADSL modem has a built in firewall. 

Have fun with your first restore!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]