• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Harder than it looked

Started by MichiganRob, October 20, 2009, 04:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichiganRob

This is the image I'm working on for Hannie, now.  I think I have it finished but haven't submitted it yet.  Here's the issue almost every square inch of the wild shirt that this fellow is wearing has mold or mildew or something, I did the restore and it looks good at "actual pixels" but when you get in real close, I don't know I had to do a lot of blurring and sharpening, this shirt is heavily repaired.  I included a detail of the before shirt.  The after shirt is in the finished proof also posted here.

How do you all handle this pervasive mold issue?

Thanx
Michigan Rob

This is the original file

This is a detail of the original it is representative of all 3 images on the image.  Virtually every square inch of the shirt is covered with this yuck!

And here is my restoration after heavy editing of the shirt.  My instructions were to make (1) 4x6 from the three images.

MichiganRob

This is a detail from the finished shirt

Anyone want to tell me what you think?

schen

The restoration task is harder than they appear in the thumbnail.   :D

Wow! what a shirt.  You did a great job restoring it.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

Rob, you did a beautiful job on the shirt!  (shirt=restorer's nightmare)
The straightening and crop are great, very well balanced.

:up:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Beautiful job Rod, that shirt is a nightmare. :up2:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Great job Rob! Next time we will have to make it harder.  >:D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

MichiganRob

Thank you all for the kind words, makes me very happy to know my work is appreciated, but even more than that if the family that had these photos ruined in a natural disaster get some piece of their history returned to them and a sense that not all was lost...well...what could be better than that :)

What a great service you all do for humanity, I'm real glad to be a small part of it!

Michigan Rob

glennab

Hi Rob

Now that I'm back on the forum, I can look at all the wonders our newbies are creating.  One thing I especially noted is that your color correction is beautiful.  And the shirt work is awesome.  A short note on that: if you get into a lot of unwanted texture, you can use the patch tool to smooth things out.  Sometimes it has to be done in small increments, but it works miraculously for me, and I find very few people seem to take advantage of it, in preference to the healing tool.

I'm glad you're part of our endeavor, too.  As one of the earliest members, I can tell you that it gets better and better.  Best thing I ever did for myself.  I suspect you'll feel the same way.

Cheers,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Rob,

A great job on a difficult subject, stripes can be hell!

With regard to all the spots and blemishes when you zoom in, I generally work to optimise it at print size, you can spend a whole heap of time removing damage that won't be visible when printed, and can sometimes end up loosing a lot of the natural look in the process.

I generally print them out when I consider it finished and then go back and fix the things that are noticeable in the print, before I upgraded to a LCD monitor there were a lot of things, particularly in shadow areas that showed up in print but not on my monitor.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

of topic: Max, where is your cat?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ausimax

Good question Hannie, the photo host where my avatar resides seems to be offline or defunct maybe?

Will have to find a new avatar and host it on a different site.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!