• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Our World!

Started by Ausimax, September 22, 2009, 08:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

This is what it looks like at my place this morning as a dust storm blankets Eastern Australia.

This is the view from my door.

Every thing is cast in an orange light, this is looking towards a window - the sun is just a pale blue glow in the sky.

This is a link to the ABC web site with a series of photos taken in Sydney, and that is a thousand kilometers away from me.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/2009/09/23/2693741.htm

Tassie, I hope all you Taswegians aren't still complaining about all the rain!

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Johnboy

Wow. The photos are really erie looking.

Here in the states the people in the Atlanta, Georgia area have been drowned in about 1 1/2 feet (over 45 cm) of water over the last 3 days as per the news on television tonight. They said on the news that there is water in areas where water would not be expected. I would say Atlanta could be a future copy run. Hope both areas recover quickly.

Here is a link to some Atlanta photos: http://abcnews.go.com/US/popup?id=8637964
and video: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/southern-floods-leave-death-destruction/story?id=8634868

Johnboy

Mhayes

Max, these photos look like something we should be color correcting. How surreal all these pictures are; they look like works of art and then you realize how awful it must be to have this going on. How long will the dust storm last and do you wear a mask when you go outside? I love the photos on the link, but I think yours from inside the house is the best one of all. I know if I woke up to this; I would freak out!

Looks like you and Tess are experiencing two different extremes. As Johnboy mentioned, over here the Northeast is having record breaking floods. Kiska is also having a close call with all the flooding. Hope things improve soon!

Margie

PS Some of the comments at the end on the link you posted are hilarious!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Wow, that looks eerie!  Thanks for posting your photos Max, that one from your window looks incredible.  I imagine it wouldn't be a bad idea to wear something over your mouth to protect your lungs from the dust!  I read today that the storm is not quite over yet till the end of the week.
I was amazed to see that people were still jogging outside...
My daughter Anita is in the Sydney area at the moment, she could have picked a better time!

I didn't think there would ever be floods in the Atlanta, Georgia area.  Looks pretty bad.
I hope it will stop raining soon for all the people over there, must be nerve wrecking to see the water levels rise.

Kiska, how are you holding out?

Best wishes to all,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Red dirt.  How do you breath?  I don't see a lot of build up.  Amazing and eerie is a very good description.

Candice

glennab

Max, the dust storm is so amazing.  It's frightening and beautiful at the same time.  How long will you have to deal with the dust? Can you breathe without a mask when you go outside?

I think your image from the inside looking out is a work of art.  You should submit that as a photo contest entry.

Margie, do we have any way of letting the people who are battling the floods in Georgia know not to throw out their photos and advise them how to prevent further damage?  If OPR did a copy run to that area, Iron Man and I could drive that far (and would!).  I realize that's probably quite a way off, especially with the upcoming run, but keep in mind that the Boyettes are available.

Seeing water destroy people's homes and lives is so disheartening.  Kiska, did you manage to dodge the bullet?  How did the rescued animals fare?

I miss you guys!

Hugs,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Max, I saw on the new here that it is suppose to clear up today?

GK, we will try to get the word out and if there are any members who either live in Georgia or have friends, pass the word on about OPR. I will also see if Brian at the Galveston Historical Foundation could spread the word out also to any historical foundations in that area. The Cedar Rapids copy run will probably be our last run of the year, but a spring run is a real possibility and it would be great to have you there.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

TerryB

Maybe Jim Cantore and The Weather Channel could help get the word out to the Atlanta area?
Quote from: MarCat on September 24, 2009, 05:14:49 PM

GK, we will try to get the word out and if there are any members who either live in Georgia or have friends, pass the word on about OPR. I will also see if Brian at the Galveston Historical Foundation could spread the word out also to any historical foundations in that area. The Cedar Rapids copy run will probably be our last run of the year, but a spring run is a real possibility and it would be great to have you there.

Margie
rd out?
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

Been a bit long winded in replying, busy cleaning up after the storm.

Next morning dawned clear and bright, wouldn't know it had happened other than the dust coating everything, It wasn't too bad if you stayed inside, everything smelled of dust and our eyes were sore and gritty.

Main problem was it was being pushed by winds of up to 90Kph and there was just no way you could keep it out even with all the windows and doors closed. Cleaning up next day we had to empty the cleaner bag three times during the job and the dust was just so fine.

I don't know about winning any photo contests Glenna, I would say that it would have been a popular photographic subject, it eventually stretched from Canberra to Townsville in far north Queensland a distance of over 2000 Km so I would hazard a guess that there were millions of photos taken.

Dust doesn't seem to have been a problem around Atlanta, just shows the diversity of disaster and there seem to be so much of it about these days, sounds like another opportunity for OPR to come to the fore.

Just hope all our member are high and dry - we don't need to generate our own work.

Thanks to all for your concern, it is much appreciated.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

kiska

Glenna, we had flash flooding........in the middle of the night which makes it more fun. It stopped about 3-4 feet from the house.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

Wow Max, does this qualify as spring cleaning? That looked pretty nasty, what next a locust invasion?

Kiska, I'm glad you dodged the bullet on the flash flood. I've been there, only not had it happen at night. It is really scary experience to know that you have just a short time to get out before the flood waters reach your home--and then later finding out that your home had a foot of flood water inside.

Thanks Terry for the suggestion of contacting Jim Cantore with the Weather Channel. More specifically, Jim Gagne, the one that produced the video on our home page will be contacted. I had totally forgotten about TWC being located in Atlanta.

We also have a new OPR member who lives in Atlanta area and is very interested in helping with a copy run there. I also received a reply back from Brian Davis, Galveston Historical Foundation, and here is what he said:

QuoteThanks, Margie.   I sent an e-mail to a contact in the Southern office of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.  They would know who the contact person would be in the Atlanta area and can also have your info, for other floods and disasters in that region.

We want to help those in the flooded areas, but we also realize that it is best to wait at least 3 mos before going in. We have had 2 donation drives almost back to back and would need to wait until 2010 to foot the bill. However, if we get enough local OPR volunteers who want to do this; OPR will support them 100%.

Right now we are concentrating on the upcoming Cedar Rapids copy run. As I head out for Iowa on October 8 with my sister; I will do a phone interview at 8 am with Scott Schultz and Ric Swann on 102.9 KZIA Radio HD/FM. This will be great since it will spread the news before we actually get there. People are really excited about what OPR is doing for their town.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ausimax

For the secong time in four days we are again engulfed in a duststorm, not quite as bad as Wednesdays but it is still developing - don't tell me Global Warming is a myth.

Max

Candice

Global warming is a myth.  Global changes come in cycles.   ;) 
Though it may not have happened in your lifetime, it has happened in the past. 

Candice

Tess (Tassie D)

Max they are some eerie photos. Yes we are complaining about the rain, hail, land gales, floods and huge seas. We have had the wettest winter on record and the fronts just keep coming.
51 days straight of rain and this morning we had 90 mile an hour land gale come through the caravan park where we were all staying. No damage luckily.
Yep ghlobal warming is showing its ugly head. Its a shame a lot of people don't understand exactly what it is and means.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Weather comes in cycles, however, that's a matter of opinion not based on ignorance but based on observation. During my short on this earth, I've been in snow up to the rafters, floods, and heat waves.  In between it's been beautiful.  Even sat out a few dust storms coming up from Texas but yours is doozy. I don't envy you the clean up.  Great pictures of history in the making.  It's amazing the strength that Mother Nature has isn't it?!!

It brought to mind another time when dust was a factor in great change.  The Dust Bowl years were from 1936 - 1940.  During that time a great depression happened and we were on the brink of WWII.   

Black Sunday April 14, 1935. The dust storm that turned day into night. Many believed the world was coming to an end.
Candice