• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

I Need some eyes

Started by penegway, August 17, 2009, 06:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penegway

I just don't know about this one. I'm a little crosseyed at this point. I need to get this one done. :D

Leave things better than when you found them.

Mhayes

Hi Penegway,

You picked a really difficult one and almost closed to being a non-restore. This photo is extremely old and probably the only one they have of these relation. On a photo like this, its best to work with it and try to keep to the old look. On your right hand side you did a great job with the siding, window, and the woman's dress. For the rest you are trying to make it work as you think it should look, and it is really too hard in some areas to know for sure what is there. I did a quick and dirty--really more dirty than quick. I used the magenta channel for my black/white and then did a gradient mask. From there I worked using a new layer with 50% gray and then darkened and lighten as needed. I'm not happy with it, but it gives a general outline of the people. The two women on your right are a lost cause for bringing back their faces.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Very hard photo to restore Penegway!
I like Margie's version because it leaves the little detail that still visible intact and it is also "evenly noisy". 
I don't think much more than that could be done, perhaps really zoom in and clean a few spots here and there?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

battleaxe

Hi,
  WOW!   what a doozy!
  using margie's example.  maybe try a levels layer ( no adjustment to it) and play with the blending modes....or try  Lab mode , copy the lightness to a layer and use overlay or multiply

sometimes the above helps to bring in more info

good luck with this one

glennab

Hi Penegway

Since I have a minute or two at lunch to get on the forum, I downloaded your monster and played a little.  If you convert to CMYK and use calculations to combine the Magenta and Black channels, you might get something a little clearer.  The cyan and yellow render absolutely no detail that I can discern.  It might help to try to work with your blending modes in calculations and the M and B to get your best image and then copy that as an alpha channel that you can make a layer.  It's still fuzzy, but you can pull out a little more.  Sorry I don't have time to give you more specific information, but I'm time-challenged.  Best of luck with this one!

Cheers

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Penegway, did you take up photo restoration as a Hobby? If you are going to take photos like this, could I suggest "Self Flagelation" as an alternative. :funny:

If you can get a "good" b/w copy like Margie's, try using the dodge and burn tools, they often work well on b/w images - dodge out the dark spots on faces etc.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

penegway

Thanks all. I agree, Margie's is best. As for the flagellation, I prefer the cat-o-nine tails.
Ausimax you're baaaad. ;)
Leave things better than when you found them.