• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Pardon my Dutch, but HELL'S BELLS!

Started by glennab, August 11, 2009, 03:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi OPR-sters,

I just wrote what I thought was a great tribute to our wonderful Ray Norman, and it disappeared when my 60-minute time allowance was up.  Since I can't get on the forum at home still, I at least wanted to express my sorrow at his passing.  I'll try to do my on-and-on-anon thing at lunch tomorrow (OMG -- all the expressions of rapt anticipation!).

My most recent attempt at forum access was to send an error report to Mozilla to see if they have any suggestions.  My last nerve is becoming VERY frayed!  I miss you guys!

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Glenna it may be worth emailing John here and seeing if he can reset your username & password? It's just another possibility that something has got mucked up along the way.
Does your computer at home store your passwords for you? Thant might be another cause?
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Tess, I've contacted John, but he hasn't come up with anything yet.  Because I'm having the problem with Firefox, Safari and Explorer on Lon's PC, I've come to the conclusion that I have a problem with my Firewall settings (about which I know nothing, nada, zero, zip!).  I keep hunting through my system preferences and tweaking this and that (I'll probably end up blowing the whole thing up!). My art director gave me some good ideas this morning.  Every evening I spend several hours on that challenge, an hour or so on my "impossible restoration," then play Bejeweled until bedtime (I can't even handle Text Twist right now.  The only words I can come up with are "not in the accepted dictionary" of the game.  Go figure!)

Thanks for your ongoing attempts to get me through this.

Hugs!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

In my ongoing search for the meaning of "error 404" I found this on Google:

Investigators Vow to Find Missing Web Pages
Washington, DC, 3:40 PM

Federal investigators are continuing a nationwide search for missing web pages after revealing today that they have no solid leads as to who or what is responsible for the disappearance.

The FBI has posted a one million dollar reward for any information leading to the capture of those responsible. So far, the only lead that investigators have are a series of Post-It notes with the words '404 Error: File Not Found' written on them in crayon.

(From the Trinicom Daily)

Addendum: In urban UK slang, Error 404 means "clueless."  

I think I'm in deep cow dung!

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

Candice

Johnboy

Glenna,

Since you are running OS 10.4.11 go to the System Preference and click on the Sharing icon. In the dialog is the Firewall setting. Perhaps turn it off and try to log in. Another thing to try to go to Macworld.com and search for your problem. There is also a forum on the site that maybe someone may be able to help.

Good luck.

Johnboy

glennab

JB, thanks for the suggestions.  I'll use any reference I can find. The Sharing/Firewall setting is one thing my art director thought I should check.  I'll do that this evening.

It's been so much fun reading all the nonsense on Google about the Error 404 issue that I didn't get anything done last night.  Technophiles, I recommend you check that out just for giggles.  There's one site that gives a long pitiful rap about a depressed server that's dealing with Error 404.  Hilarious.  Where do people find the time?  I do appreciate their intelligence and humor about technology's frustrations.

I'll let you know when I can "talk" to you from home!

Cheers and thanks again!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)