• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Status Quo

Started by Mhayes, July 26, 2009, 09:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

A little update on how our donation drive is going. You will be able to follow the progress of "Chip In" on our home page.  Right now the total is $175. We have also received two checks by mail, one from an OPR volunteer and the other from a family that we helped out after Katrina, for a total of $300. That brings our total now to $475. A big thanks to all who contributed!

Some other good news comes in the way of promotional support from PhotoShelter. Some time back I tried for a $500 grant that PhotoShelter is giving out each month for individuals or groups that support photography. I was notified last Thursday by Andrew Fingerman, VP Marketing, that they would love to help out with our continued efforts, but they would not be able to support us with a grant at this time. What they would like to do is have a "blog feature about OPR in their August newsletter and support via twitter, designed to connect you with other people who might fund your efforts." PhotoShelter has some 40,000 photographers worldwide, so this is great publicity!

Last but not least, I have an invitation for a live interview on Your Mac Life for Wednesday July 29 at 9:40 pm Eastern time. Website:  http://www.yourmaclifeshow.com/ Thanks to Leslie Hollis for promoting us to Shawn King, host and executive producer of Your Mac Life. The show is live every Wednesday evening at 5:30 pm Pacific, 8:30 pm Eastern.

Thanks everyone for getting us to where we are today!

Margie

P.S. Check out latest news about the copy run to Cedar Rapids in October on our blog.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Great job Margie!  You go girl!!

Chris

pixelesh

Yay, Margie - I'm happy to hear you and Shawn definitely connected! I mentioned it to him before I even knew about the Cedar Rapids copy run, the timing is good then.  :up:  I've been a long time listener (& friend), the show has a large and diverse audience, I hope we can gather some support from amongst them. Good luck...errr...I mean break a leg! (He's a great interviewer, I'm sure it will go well.)

:)

Mhayes

Thanks for bringing OPR to Shawn's attention. I look forward to it and hope no glitches. Tomorrow they are forecasting thunderstorms, so keep your fingers crossed no power outages. Or what is the worst thing that could happen (forget the broken leg part)--I get the hiccups and can't stop?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

The interview with Shawn has been bumped up to 9:20 pm Eastern Time from the original 9:40 pm schedule. (Your Mac Life)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

hoodman3

Margie,

You rock! Know one could have said it better.

Best to You,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Mhayes

Thanks Pete! I was amazed the interview went for 30 min and Shawn will let me know when they have a link.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

TerryB

Absolutely terrific job, Margie. :up:

Here's the link to the streaming .mp3 audio; Margie's interview begins at around 0:51:40 and runs to 1:15:56.
http://yourmaclifeshow.com/QT/YML090729.mp3

You can also download the .mp3 file by right-clicking and choosing Save link as...
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Hannie

Terry, thanks for the link, it worked great!

Margie, you did so well in the interview.  You managed to give a really clear picture of what OPR is all about. 
The host of the show asked the right questions and your answers told the listeners what we are all about.  (He was funny: "are you a Twit?")

I really admire you for talking so calmly, I would have stuttered and tripped all over the words, lol!

:up:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Thanks everyone! Be glad I didn't get in a sneezing fit. Hannie, not sure I got your last name right and almost certain I mispronounced Metairie. What's interesting is that we got a volunteer immediately after the program. Also, Shawn King the host has a friend whose house caught on fire the day before and suffered a lot of water damage. Shawn is going to tell him about OPR and also the service that Dig My Pics provides for damaged video. This person had his videos out on the lawn to dry afterwards.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

pixelesh

Brava, Margie - you did a fine job! You explained everything so well, and the response to the interview was very good amongst those listening live in the IRC room that night. I suspect that was my friend Eric that signed up right away. Happy I could do my little part to help to spread the word about what and why we do what we do.

The streaming link through the YML site is only good for the current week of the show, but the downloadable episode is available (free) through the iTunes store: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?i=57412247&id=217153739

Leslie

Mhayes

Thanks Leslie for getting OPR some exposure. Yes, Eric was the first to sign up right after the show and we are very happy he joined.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie, you said my last name just right! 
Leslie thanks for the link and everything you've done to get OPR on this show!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

If you have checked our home page, you will see that donations to ChipIn! are now up to $400, which is 16% of our goal.  Some that have donated have left comments:

QuoteThanks for everything you are doing. If all of us pitch in with just a small donation than soon you will have what you need.

QuoteGood luck and have fun with the upcoming copy run.

QuoteHope this will help to get you guys on the way!

Thanks to all of you that have donated!

:loveit:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie, I've finally been able to grab a minute at work and see what's happening on the forum (no luck at home still).

I heard the wonderful interview with Shawn King on Your Mac Life, and I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job of representing OPR and our passion for what we do.  Shawn certainly IS a fantastic interviewer, but you managed - with that gentle, calm voice - to bring our group alive.  Kudos and thanks to both you and Shawn.  (P.S. Your outfit was awesome! You looked Mah-velous!)

Hugs upon hugs!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)