• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Try no 1 , can't get the face clean

Started by battleaxe, June 08, 2009, 09:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battleaxe

Hi,
   Here is try number 1.   Can't get rid of the dots in the pic.  Having problems with her face. Took liberties with using outside textures for the wainscoting.   Have mix channels.   Not sure what is behind the couch. Looks like the top of an umbrella and  handle.   not sure if I have the details right. If not will try again

:hug: thanks for any help

Battleaxe

Mhayes

Battleaxe,

My first advice would be to never take any of Hannie's close out specials! You are brave to attempt this one, but I think it has so much damage as to be almost impossible to bring it back. It's tempting to try fill in the missing information, but it really doesn't work. I think your color correction would have been better with a Levels Adjustment for each channel. Doing that would have giving you better color for the woman's face, hair. and clothes. Right now the woman's hair looks blue, where I think it is white with gray in it. The sofa, I would have taken the best part and used that for the rest of the sofa. When I look at yours and the texture you have added to the sofa, it looks like a carpet. To be honest, I think you are doomed on this one. When I downloaded the original file and looked at this at 100%, it has so much damage as to not have enough good areas to restore from. When you make it smaller, you can only imagine what it looked like. You did a good job of trying to restore the china. The background to your left is a total goner! Kudos for trying on this one!

Margie

PS Remember to remove personal info before posting photos.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Battleaxe,

Great to see how much you have done in so little time! 
I like Margie's suggestion for the couch area, there seems to be a fair bit of info left there to clone from?
I did a levels adjustment on the original (top image), the background looks OK but the lady seems to turn into a ghost!  In the second image I burned the lady some (9% midtones) and that brings her back a little. I did a bad job because I'm working on a 10" netbook without my Wacom tablet, terrible!   :mad:

All this probably didn't help much, maybe just a little clean up where possible and leave the other areas a little darker/blurrier (is that a word?)

Nevertheless, you are a hero for working on this bear!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

battleaxe

Here is the second attempt,
rediscovered desatuate, and replace colour.  I did clone the couch from the little slab originally, this time I made it a pattern and used the pattern cloner.   Does she look the same??
I took out the umbrella, or candy cane in a bowl on a dolly on the table behind the couch.  Tried to crop it down  but I thought the cropped was not going far enough

Mhayes

I think you are getting there, but I am really for cropping straight down from the line (your left) on the paneling (?), which would get rid of the triangular flooring. I think it is too hard to get a perspective on this when there is no information left. Plus I don't think it is going to be true to what was really there. Next I would work on getting the purple off the one side of the woman's face. I would also tone the woman's red lips down a little. On your right side you show a triangle space showing the sofa through the woman's arm, but this makes her look like she is shaped like a wasp. I would bring her dress in like the opposite side and have it cover where you have a crook in her arm. This is just my personal choice, but I would rather see what looks like her dress flowing out than trying to make it look like part of the sofa arm. You might when you get further along, change the color of the cabinet behind to more of a lighter brown with less red. Her hair is looking a good. Great effort!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

battleaxe

K,
 It is cropped the other way.  still have splotches but when printed you really don't notice them.  everything seems ok  to me now.  the face is as good as I can get it I think.

Am I wrong or is this ready to go home???  !!!??? :hug: :-*    

lurch

Battleaxe,

That's a good crop.

However, when I look at the green and blue channels, it appears the lady is sitting at a table, not on a couch. Not many folks in those days had a sofa in the kitchen or dining room, but I digress. The kicker is that, in those channels, the edge of the breakfront goes all the way down to her shoulder, while in the red channel it shows through the "sofa". And the blue and green channels show evidence of a chair to the lady's right, and fairly clearly show the edge of a round table (I think).

My conclusion is that red "sofa" is damage - all the more reason for cropping it the way you did.

The lady herself is way overexposed, common for indoor flash photos of light subjects. For her, I'd try multiplying the blue channel, cleaning it  up, and using it as a luminosity layer for her alone, then correcting her colors.

And I realize that all along I've been talking Photoshop. Hope that's what you're using.
<C>

battleaxe

Thanks Lurch,
  lol I think it is funny that I thought it was a sofa. there was a table behind her. Yes I am using Photoshop.  Her arm does look like it is on a table.  Sort of thought so but disregarded it.  So I will bring the wainscotting behind her down, the cabinet down to get rid of the red damage, fix the TABLE  ;D  Try to get the purple out of her face or mute it more.....Thanks for the heads up on the blue channel....I did that but will redo things again.....most time I over correct then over compensate..... :crazy:....

again thanks   :hug:

battleaxe

here is number one try without the sofa... ;D....

Mhayes

Hi BA,

Great effort on this one. I'm not sure whether you have attempted to add more shading to the woman's face and neck, but it makes her look like she is covered in dirt.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

battleaxe

no Margie,

I blended what was there.  She was washed out so I multiplied her.  Guess I should powder her face and neck, arms and dress/shirt  to tone the dirty look down.   Otherwise is it okay??

Mhayes

BA,

I don't think I am going to risk asking you to powder her face and neck, but I think by multiplying it made the damaged area too dark. I agree that the original probably had the highlights blown out and could take a little darkening. The only other thing that catches my eye is the two shiny objects in the upper left hand corner. Otherwise, I think you have done great and there comes a point where you really can't go any further.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

battleaxe

so I can take out the light and clock? >:D

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

battleaxe