• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Just getting started

Started by MBre, June 05, 2009, 04:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBre

Hello, my name is Mary Bre and I live in Virginia Beach, Va.  It's rather hard to say what my profession is, I'm a full-time mom of two teenagers.  My most recent venture was creating a company that provided curriculum for kids' day camps.  Someday I will decide what I want to be when I grow-up, but for now I love working on photos in Photo Shop -  self-taught. 

I must admit that though I've been working with computers for over 20 years, I am a forum virgin -  I know, all the girls say that - but this is my very first post.  It's taking me awhile to figure out what goes where. 

Beyond that, I am so impressed at some of the work you have done - amazing!  I can see that I have a lot to learn.  I just finished my first picture and if I can figure out how to put it on the forum I would like some feed back - it was an easy job but I figured I better start out easy and see where I go from there.

Mhayes

Hi Mary, welcome from Kansas. We are happy you have joined us and once you get used to the forum you will be hook. Here is a link that Tess has posted on how to upload your photos to the forum: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2002.0.html The first one is PhotoShelter, which if your are logged in to the forum, you will see on your left hand side a link. There are other examples, but I find PhotoShelter very easy to use. If you run into any problems, we'll be here to help you.

It sounds like you are very busy with two teenagers and your company for curriculum for kids at day camp, sounds very interesting!

Look forward to seeing more of you on the forum!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

Welcome to OPR Mary from southwestern Ohio. You said you didn't know what your profession is but when you said you were a full time mom to two teenagers you said it all. Everything else just fits in around that job.

When you logged into the forum you may have noticed the Official OPR Handbook link in the top left. That is a downloadable PDF file that has all the goodies to teach you how to upload photos to the forum and much more. You might want to start there and if you still have questions come back to this thread and post your question. Someone will have the answer for you. The same goes when you have questions or are stuck on one of your photos post the question and a copy of the photos. It is best to post an original photo along with what you have restored. Then we know where you started from. One important thing is to remove all the personal info from the photos that you post. If you do a File>Save for Web this will take out that info as part of the save operation.  Don't worry about being a forum virgin we won't take advantage of you.

Many of us in OPR are self taught. There are also some professionals. The great thing is we all work toward the same goal to restore memories. You may want to nose around the forum as there are many good tips and tricks in all the threads. You may want to bookmark some for later reference. Hope some of this helps.

While I was composing this I see Marge may have answer some of your questions.

Johnboy

Hannie

Hi Mary, welcome from The Netherlands!
(2 teenagers... they do grow up, I can vouch for that and then it will be so much fun!   ;))

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

VBrestorer

Hello, Mary.  As another Virginia Beach resident, I just wanted to welcome you to this group of great people.  Just ask for help with any problem you're having with a restoration, and you'll get numerous helpful suggestions from the OPR members.

Though I have been a member for several years now, I have done only a few restorations, and those were from the mess Hurricane Katrina made down in Louisiana.  I did those using PhotoShop Elements 2, but have since upgraded to PhotoShop CS3 -- now all I have to do is learn how to use it!

Again, welcome.  I look forward to seeing some of your work.

Larry