• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

OPR and the Weather Channel June 1st

Started by Mhayes, May 27, 2009, 09:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

What a wonderful, moving report.  I watched it at lunch break, and now I owe my company a box of tissues!  Dave, thanks for posting it. Margie and Jan, you represented OPR perfectly, and the Weather Channel did a beautiful job of communicating the impact of what we do on the people who own the photos.  It made me proud to be an OPR volunteer!

I think we all deserve a huge group hug!  And TWC gets my kudos and thanks for giving us such valuable air time.

Jan, your videos were the icing on the cake.  Thanks for sharing them.

Cheers

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

John

Quote from: TerryB on June 01, 2009, 09:30:02 AM
Superb.
Absolutely superb segment by the Weather Channel.
Great job Margie & Jan, you made OPR look like the group of concerned digital artists we strive to be.
Here's hoping Cantore's bit at the end about funding shakes the money bush.

I'm recording the 7AM - 11AM (Eastern) segment; it was broadcast around 7:45, maybe there's more.

I'll edit it down and find somewhere make it available for anyone interested in seeing/copying it. Not too sure about copyright issues.

Terry, let me know how the final cut turns out and let me know.  I know we may have an official copy coming from TWC, but I can upload your version and use that, too.  Thanks for taking the time to do it.

TerryB

Quote from: John on June 01, 2009, 09:02:48 PM
Terry, let me know how the final cut turns out and let me know.  I know we may have an official copy coming from TWC, but I can upload your version and use that, too.  Thanks for taking the time to do it.

John:

Edited segment length is 3:33 and includes Cantore's opening intro and closing with the request for funds.

I saw it one more time in the afternoon and the on-camera folk also did the request for funds.

The link in Dave's post (http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videoplayer.html?clip=14457&from=hp_video_3) did not have the a live intro or fund request.

Three levels of quality:
1. Best is a 778 MG .avi file
2. Second best is a 209 MB mpg file
3. Fairly good 14 MB .wmv file

I can upload any or all to an FTP site (or whatever) of your choice.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

John

Let me get something set up for you to upload.  Will work on that later tonight.

Thanks!

glennab

Does anyone know how to access the OPR piece on The Weather Channel now?  I tried the link and it goes to something completely different. I couldn't even find a reference to it.

John, if you can get the footage on our site it would be great, because being able to see the reaction of someone who's received their restorations is totally uplifting and I think a good morale booster for all of us.  After 3 years, it's the first time I've actually witnessed an owner's reaction; it made me cry but it also gave me a profound sense of the impact of what we do and the determination to keep at it.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

TerryB

TWC appears to have replaced the OPR link with something different and I, too, could not find the video anywhere on their site.

I sent the video files FTP to John a few days ago, but evidently there was a glitch at the server end and John is unable to access them.

I've asked him for a snail-mail address to which I can send him a data DVD with the segment in a variety of formats so he can choose the one that he feels is the best.  As soon as I receive the address, I'll mail the DVD.

Quote from: glennab on June 19, 2009, 03:04:48 PM
Does anyone know how to access the OPR piece on The Weather Channel now?  I tried the link and it goes to something completely different. I couldn't even find a reference to it.

John, if you can get the footage on our site it would be great, because being able to see the reaction of someone who's received their restorations is totally uplifting and I think a good morale booster for all of us.  After 3 years, it's the first time I've actually witnessed an owner's reaction; it made me cry but it also gave me a profound sense of the impact of what we do and the determination to keep at it.

GK
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Mhayes

Guess What? The Weather Channel is going to run the story again next week at different times. Jim said he would try and let me know the times. They will also have the link back on their website (limited time), but will have to wait until it is airing again.

Terry, John had some glitches on our website and we are also have an copy coming from TWC. Jim is sending a copy to John, so we will have a copy of it on our ourwebsite.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

It seems the Weather Channel ran the story again today and I'm sorry that I didn't hear from Jim to be able to give advance notice for the schedule. My only clue was seeing a new volunteer signing up today because of the story. The great thing is that the link to the story is back: http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videoplayer.html?clip=14457&from=hp_video_3 As before, this link will probably only be there for only a week or so. I thought it was great TWC ran our story again, because the other links look new and not what I had seen before.

Hopefully we will get our own copy and will have it permanently on our website.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

weewood

Margie,,,,I've captured the video. I'm I allowed to post it? Or is this something that you should do. I need a couple of days to edit the AVI, but at least I have it. Regards, David
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

Mhayes

Thanks David. Hold on to the copy for now. Richard has already sent a copy to John, but there was a glitch in getting it uploaded. I really would prefer Jim's copy from The Weather Channel since there would not be a copyright issue with it coming straight from them. I will keep you guys posted on this.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Atlantis

I saw the video for the first time today and aside from it being moving to actually see a person receiving restored photo's I also recognized the name as one of "my" restores. Untill now restoring was great to do but also still something from a different world on my monitor as I never saw the final prints for real. As soon as I saw "my" restore in the video as well it became very real and I admit I felt really proud to be part of OPR. I immedeately copied the link to our private family website to share it with them as all they ever saw were virtual examples of my work as well. Especially my mother, who's family lost almost everything during the bombing in WW2, always shows a lot of interest in what I'm working on.
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Mhayes

Atlantis, happy that you got to see your restore as did 4 other volunteers who worked on Susan's photos. This video was great to bring a connection to what we are doing where sometimes restoring the photos seems more like a project to get done. I wish all of you could see the reaction when a family receives their restored photos and know that what you did meant the world to them!

Thanks Terry for sending in another copy and to Jim at the Weather Channel for mailing us a copy as well. Thanks goes to John for getting this video up and running on our home page.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]