• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

OPR and the Weather Channel June 1st

Started by Mhayes, May 27, 2009, 09:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi All,

About a week ago Jim Gagne, Editor/Producer of the Weather Channel, contacted us that the Weather Channel was looking for stories for the first day of hurricane season. Jim thought this would make a good story, but needed a short paragraph to pitch to his boss on what we do and specifically to tie in with Hurricane Ike and how it has affected people who we have helped. After taking care of that request, Jim asked if someone from OPR could come to Galveston the following Tuesday and he also needed two people that OPR had helped. This is only about 3 weeks since our return. My gut reaction was that this was never going to fly. For one, OPR is low on funds and two; it would be too expensive to fly on such short notice.

It was very disappointing to see the chance for OPR to get some national TV coverage out of reach. As a last ditch effort, both Jan and I put in requests for airline tickets on our Frequent Flyer miles. Neither of us held much hope to get something that close of a date. Believe or not, we managed to get tickets and from there it was a flurry of emails trying to line up things.

Long story short: We flew in late last night and early today did the interview and then flew home. Jim was thrilled with how this turned out! He did not think this was going to work either with us getting to come down and then when it came together; he was so happy with the results! There will be different interviews of people and the effect Hurricane Ike had on their lives in this program, but I think we are going to get some good press.

Another reason for our trip was to talk to the director of the Mary Moody Northern Endowment for some funding. Unfortunately, she was in a meeting with FEMA, but this is still in the works. She is very much aware of what is going on and the Galveston Historical Foundation is pushing for us.

One of the women that was interviewed; I happened to spill the beans and let her have a sneak preview of her photos. I felt bad because it did away with the surprise element at the interview. I joked with her about that and she said that was great she got to see them, because she printed a copy and showed to her dad. This meant the world to her dad to see these family photos restored as he is in the hospital dying of pancreatic cancer.

Jan brought her Nikon that takes both photos and videos, so she has some great shots that we will post later. It was great to have Jan on the trip, but you have to wonder about a woman who laughs after agreeing to full insurance coverage on the rental car that she hopes we get to use some of that coverage. The rental guy about fell over laughing! (Serves him right for his scary sales pitch!)

There is more to come and I will post the time the special comes on TV. It is scheduled for June 1, but do not know the time. Another great thing for OPR, is that this program will air more than once.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

WAHOO!
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

AWE SOME!  Margie, you and Jan are the best!  What great coverage for OPR.  I've always wondered how we could get word out about what we do BEFORE someone throws away damaged photos in despair.  I tried with our emergency people and got no response.  The Weather Channel will, I hope, get the facts straight and give us much-needed exposure (and, can we hope???, funding).

Kudos, special ladies!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tori803

You two are great! I'll be keeping our TV tuned to the Weather Channel with a blank tape in the VCR!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

hoodman3

Windows XP, CS3

TerryB

Superb.
Absolutely superb segment by the Weather Channel.
Great job Margie & Jan, you made OPR look like the group of concerned digital artists we strive to be.
Here's hoping Cantore's bit at the end about funding shakes the money bush.

I'm recording the 7AM - 11AM (Eastern) segment; it was broadcast around 7:45, maybe there's more.

I'll edit it down and find somewhere make it available for anyone interested in seeing/copying it. Not too sure about copyright issues.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

John

already got a few new volunteer requests due to the TWC segment.... great job ladies!

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Today at 1:10 (try 1 to be safe) Eastern time, the story will air about our trip to Galveston. I'm sorry that I did have more advance warning until now. Jim didn't want to call at 6:40 my time to tell me that the first showing was on. If you miss the 1:10 broadcast, The Weather Channel will later have a link to the story and as soon I get that; I will post.

We have already had some response to the story and one of those has experience in fund raising and wants to help us. I told Jim about this and he said that he ask that at the end of the story, the announcer tell how OPR had lost their grant and that we needed donations. What we do at OPR touched Jim and it became his special project.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Dave

Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Tori803

What a great story! Better have a tissue handy when you watch!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

weewood

Really enjoyed that video. Jan and Margie did a great job! 
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

Hannie

Dave, thanks for posting that link!
Jan and Margie, you are the best, what a touching report, hope it will air a few more times this week!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Wow, I am very impressed.  Nice job Jan and Margie!

Christine

John

here is some 'behind the scenes' footage that Jan took with her D90...  thanks Jan!

http://vimeo.com/4902719

http://vimeo.com/4902781

schen

Great job Margie and Jan for a great story told.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6