• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Count Down!

Started by Mhayes, April 22, 2009, 03:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Hoping for a good turnout this weekend. The Galveston Daily News put us on the front page of their lifestyle section yesterday: http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=0a3617a2f1f225c7

I've already received one call from a potential client. She has promised to spread the word about us.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

glennab

Dave, awesome publicity for OPR.  However, I wonder if someone should ask them to revise their statement that photos will be "digitally copied and restored on the spot."  I suspect that statement could create some false expectations and possibly hard feelings.

Cheers

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Hi GK,

I had discussed with Dave if they could do a correction in the newspaper about this and Dave thought that people might not notice a simple line or two. However, I have done a letter to the editor explaining that we do not do restores on the spot. Also, I mentioned that if damaged photos are in frames and can be safely removed, please do so, but  if the photo is stuck to the glass, then it is OK to bring the photo in the frame.

I have also posted to the forum for the Galveston Island website: http://community.galveston.com/forums/t/1959.aspx

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Crab Daddy

WOW. so a few items really need to be ironed out before we start, as far as the quote about on the spot, i wouldnt be sure that a stink wont be raised here. people from around this part dont like to wait if they dont have to. not saying they wont be appricative just saying they might be a bit dis-appointed thats all.

Mhayes

Dino,

I have wrote to the editor of the paper and hopefully there will be a clarification, but if it doesn't I'm really not worried. I doubt that people would raise a stink with us since it was the paper's error. Second, I find it hard to believe that people in Texas would be so ungrateful to raise a stink. Plus, if they were to wait till we restored on the spot; they would be in for a bigger wait--like forever! Having been on two previous copy runs, my experience has been that people are very grateful for the service we provide.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

I think the statement just needs some clarification.  We will be making copy on the spot so that the owner may have the original back on the same day.  My experience with one copy run was that people are all very nice though we Americans are famous for wanting instant gratification.

Wish the team have a good trip.  I wish I could go and stay at the building.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

I want to second that: hope you will have a good trip and all will go well!  Bring home lots of photos to restore and don't forget to take pictures, come home safely.

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Dave

I really don't think that the misquote is going to raise too much of a stink. All it will require is a thorough explanation to anyone who shows up about how the process works.

As a journalist, I'm embarrassed about how many inaccuracies have appeared in print, online and on the tube about OPR. It's no wonder that the news industry is struggling.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Hopefully, we'll be able to do a lot of good down there.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Crab Daddy

note to myself, KEEP MY BIG MOUTH SHUT. LOL anyways, its almost go time and im really ready to do this, hope everyone dont mind helping out the new guy

Tori803

Since you all will be coming in contact with a lot of folks, be sure to follow the basic rule of washing your hands frequently to avoid catching any version of the flu! Have fun!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Thanks everyone. Tori you wouldn't believe how much hand washing we do on a regular run, now we will have an eye out for the flu--Oink!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Tori, you're right about doing whatever one can to avoid viruses – not to mention the caustic debris that may be on the photos.  Even though the Biloxi crew used hand sanitizer constantly and washed our hands at every possible opportunity, several of us came home with bronchial ills.

Of course, we were dealing with photos that had been deteriorating for 3 years, so the images from Ike shouldn't be nearly as bad.  That said, no matter what the potential for ill effects, I'd be in Galveston in a heartbeat if I were allowed by my medical "tormentors."

To the volunteers who will be in Galveston: have a safe journey, enjoy the camaraderie and be proud of what you're doing. Not only will you have the experience of a lifetime, but you'll make a lot of people who've suffered unfathomable loss very happy. (And your efforts will keep the rest of us busy with restorations again and off the streets! What an incredible service.)

Bless and hugs!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)