• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Galveston Copy Run

Started by Mhayes, April 04, 2009, 10:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Things are starting to come together for the May copy run to Galveston. Several sites had been looked into, but either there was a scheduling problem or there was too much storm damage remaining. I talked to Lisa Jamail at the Rosenberg Library and she said their library still had damage on their first floor meeting rooms. She went on to say that the greatest damage to Galveston was caused not by the hurricane but the surge. Plans were even being made to go further inland if nothing suitable turned up. Wanting to do it in Galveston, where so much of the destruction occurred; I contacted the Galveston Historical Foundation (GHF) and explained that OPR would like to do a copy run in Galveston for those with storm damaged photos and then I gave them our website address. The person that I needed to talk with was Brian Davis, Director of Preservation & Conservation Services, who was out of the office at the time, but the information was passed on to him. Early the next morning I got a call from Brian and he was impressed with what OPR is doing and also with our website. The one problem with us planning on going the first or second weekend in May would be the GHF annual tour of homes. The first suggestion was to have us at the St Joseph Church (1860), but later Brian came back offering us the chance to have it at the Menard House built in 1838. This house is on the National Register of Historic Places and here is the link: http://www.galvestonhistory.org/1838_Michel_B_Menard_House.asp

Hours for the copy run: Friday and Saturday 10-4 and Sunday 10-1. The house will be open during the home tour, but we will have our own meeting room. In the coming weeks more information about the Galveston run will be posted.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Margie,

Will anyone be putting together another video for OPR?  The first one was so inspiring.  It would be fun to see another one.

Chris

Mhayes

Chris,

There has been talk of one or possible adding on to the first one.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Only if Dave dances in his pink tutu.  :o)

Chris

Mhayes

Sorry, this is Gone With the Wind, not Swan Lake!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Aahhh...perhaps you were not involved yet when the pink tutu incident took place.  Max...do you still have your photo??  Actually, I think there were several photos.

Chris

Ausimax

No Chris I had a clean out of my photo hosts a while back and I think it got junked then.

Will be good to get in another copy run and get some fresh images to work on, hopefully they wont all be monsters, these that are remaining are real eye strain territory. :D

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Dave

I will not be bringing my tutu on this run. Although, I may bring my unitard and ballet slippers just to entertain the troops.
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

jneil2

cmpentecost

Dang, and I won't be there to see it.  Jan and Margie,get LOTS of pictures!

Chris

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

As it gets closer to our copy run in Galveston, more press releases will go out. The Galveston Historical Foundation sent out this press release to 4,000 members on their newsletter. Here is the link:  http://www.galvestonhistory.org/Operation_Photo_Rescue.asp More publicity and posting to their website will appear in the coming days.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]