• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Count Down!

Started by Mhayes, April 22, 2009, 03:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

The count down to Galveston is a little more than a week away. I think what makes this trip so exciting is the partnership with the Galveston Historical Foundation (GHF). The timing of our copy run looked like it was going to cause problems, because of the annual historical homes tour. Instead GHF found a way to work us in as part of the tour. This year the theme of the home tour is "rebirth." It has been mentioned that what we are doing for Galveston fits perfectly with that theme. From their home page:
Quote2009 Galveston Historic Homes Tour: a Celebration of Historic Galveston's Rebirth. The tour of privately owned homes will take place on the weekends of May 2 and 3 and May 9 and 10 from 10 a.m. to 6 .p.m. Each of the ten houses on the tour has suffered a calamity to some degree or another. Some are survivors of the Great Storm of 1900, others of the flood waters of Hurricane Ike.

GHF has a very interesting website and while looking though it; I came across some Hurricane Ike photos that shows the damage to GHF: http://www.galvestonhistory.org/HurricaneIkeResponds-gallery.asp In one of the photos you will see the Michel B Menard House and some large tree limbs down, but no damage to the house.

We are lucky to have Dino and Juan, two of our newest members, joining us. I look forward to meeting everyone and also getting our galleries filled again. I never thought I would see the day when I was wishing for more photos.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Very impressive to see how high the water was.  Just looking at these photos make me realize the extend of the damage and how much work needs to be done.  It looks like it is a very humid environment, very hard to work in.

The GHF site is really interesting and it is fun to read about the history of the area, thanks for posting the link Margie.

The Menard House looks like a great place to be working from, you are so lucky!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

This is the first copy run you've made since I joined. How many photos have you averaged per copy run in the past? When will they start to be available for restoration? (Not than I'm trying to be pushy, just anxious to get started!)

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

glennab

Margie, how many volunteers will be on the run?

The photos from the Historic Foundation are incredible and very affecting!

I'm so excited that we'll be able to help some of the victims of Ike.  Heartbroken that I can't be there this time, but hoping that everything works out perfectly.

Dino & Juan, you're angels for joining the effort.  I guarantee the experience will be life-changing!

Be sure to bring lotsa hand sanitizer, kleenex, paper towels, measuring tapes and compassion!  All will be very handy. 

Bless!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Crab Daddy

hey all, im so stoked to be a part of this....one question......what is the measuring tape for? Is it to keep people away from you ata distance?

Just so everyone knows, ill be bringing my hobby lights, they have some ourdoor floods in them, but i have 18 inch umbrellas as well.

i have no blackboard so what ever we have we have right?

Mhayes

Tori, since Jan 06 when OPR started, there were 3 copy runs for the those hit by Hurricane Katrina and 3,000+ photos were taken in. In 2007 there were 2 copy runs: Biloxi with 2,500 photos and Coffeyville with 800. In April of 08, we only did one copy run and that was in Winnona and we got a little over 400 photos. Starting in Winona, we limited each family to 20 photos. Before that we pretty much took as many photos as we could, but when some families brought in over a 100 photos, it really caused a backlog. Plus, when you are waiting for all of that family's photos to be restored and returned, takes a lot time. The reason that we did only 1 copy run that year was that we had too big a back log and not enough volunteers.

Now that we have lost our grant money, copy runs depend on available funds through donations and enough volunteers to keep the backlog down. I'm hoping that we could do at least 2 copy runs a year.

I'm hoping that within a week after our return from Galveston; we will start adding photos to our galleries. Once uploaded they will be cropped to size, labeled and then uploaded to PhotoShelter and into our galleries.

Dino, the reason we need so many tapes is that each volunteer on the copy run stakes out their territory in the room. Those with the most seniority get the most space to work. Sorry, but you and Juan being new, won't need a tape measure as yours can be stepped off for total space.  ;D Seriously, we only need a few tapes or rulers and those are to measure the size of the photos. Some are easy standard size, but others are off sizes or else part of the photo is cut off.

Dino, we will touch base with you on more about the camera equipment.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Dino, just to add a bit of extra explanation about the tape measures:  I found that it was great to have something flexible for getting the photo sizes.  I kept it draped around my neck so I wouldn't lose track of it. Plus it was a great flogging instrument when discipline became necessary (kidding!).

I'm stoked for you as well.  If Galveston goes the way our Biloxi trip did, you'll all become a closely knit team in no time.  Our crew was "family" almost immediately.  It was awesome.

Cheers

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

John

just booked two tickets to Texas!  Can't wait to finally meet some OPR peeps in person! 

Hannie

Dino, don't believe a word about "measuring photos" etc., the tape measures are used to flog the newbies when they step out of line...

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Crab Daddy

Well if theres flogging then i know its gonna be like home nd family, as kids we were raised by the 3 ft long 2 inch wide leather strap. Dad was a stickler for us not getting in trouble and at the slightest bit he used it. Well no=one went to jail, no one failed school, i dont think he was correct in his ways but it worked just the same. LOL

glennab

Dino, it sounds as if you were raised by the same loving method that I was.  Except my dad was military, so we had to stand at "attention" while the belt (usually buckle) was applied.  Darn, those were good times!  I bet you're tough, though.  I know I am.  I laugh in the face of danger, ha! ha! (Just, pleeze, puh-leeze, don't yell at me!)

You should have no problem at all, then, when Dave threatens to keep you in line with beatings at noon! And who knows what wonders Margie might have in store.  Whoa!

John, it's wonderful that you'll be there for the copy run, but dammit, it figures you'd head for the one I can't join.  I'd love to meet our webmeister.  I'm getting "butterflies," and I won't even be there.

Hugs, guys!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Dave

I'm just hopeful that I can get better food service than I did in Biloxi. The whole town had it out for me on day 1.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

glennab

Dave, I'll hope for the same thing.  Lunch really was an "adventure" every day, wasn't it.  (Actually, so was dinner, now that I think of it!)  I've finally figured it out (slow on the uptake!) - THAT'S why you were crying in the library hallway!  I'll hope that you'll be very well fed this time. 

Hugs

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Crab Daddy

are meals provided? If its a free for all, meaning we fend for ourselves, then i suggest you guys keep a close tab on me cause i know of at least one really goods BBQ place, and you wouldnt even know it if you passed by it. LOL

Dave

Dino,

OPR will cover meals when possible, but not every meal. On the Biloxi run, OPR took care of lunch each day and one dinner.

We're operating on a pretty thin shoestring budget, but we'll make the best out of what we have.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]