• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Let's get OPR on OPRah!

Started by John, July 31, 2006, 11:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

The Oprah Winfrey Show is doing a future episode on groups/individuals who felt compelled to help out with assisting victims of Hurricane Katrina.

What better story is there than OPR?  I think it would be great if everyone could send in their comments to Oprah's producers via the following link: https://www.oprah.com/plugger/templates/BeOnTheShow.jhtml?action=respond&plugId=218900001

This would be huge for OPR and the exposure would be priceless.   Please include the following links to OPR when you contact the show.  (we'll check the stats page to see if we get any hits from Chicago...)

www.operationphotorescue.com
http://www.oprworkshop.org/portfolio.html

Let us know via this thread if you've contacted them.

Thanks,

JCM

milanab

i just sent my note to them.  i hope OPR is chosen to be a part of this show. dave becky jcm you admins get your bags packed
without faith...there is no hope

cmpentecost

I just sent a note to Oprah as well.  I hope OPR gets some publicity from Oprah!

Christine

glennab

Wowser!  I hope Oprah does feature OPR on her show.  I sent the producers the following message in hopes:

"Because I live on the West Central coast of Florida, one of my main fears is of being blasted by a hurricane, and losing my irreplacable photos.  From the website of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals I learned of Operation Photo Rescue, which had just begun its efforts to restore photos for Katrina victims. I was so excited to be able to sign up as a volunteer, because I have restoration experience and it's been my desire for many years to be able to help hurricane victims in some way, given that I could one day be one of them.  Please, please consider featuring this group on your show.  It's an international community of volunteers who are working their hearts out to give back an important part of the lives of those devastated by Katrina.  Dave Ellis and Becky Sell, who founded the organization deserve kudos for not only thinking of this project but also for expending considerable energy and a large portion of their lives making it a reality.  Please check out the OPR websites:
www.operationphotorescue.com
http://www.oprworkshop.org/portfolio.html

Best wishes,
Glenna Boyette"

I hope our messages work!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

milanab

some might be afraid to write since it says you must be willing to appear on tv....i don't think any of us would actually have to go..i think dave,becky etc  founders those would be the ones to go....so don't be afraid to write ....it would be a great chance for opr to get noticed and maybe some companies would pitch in for software.

Dave

Thanks for the help everyone. We've contacted Oprah as well. On our first trip to Pass Christian, Oprah was in town on our last day there. However, she only wanted to meet with residents at the time. Hopefully, her people will see all of your emails and finally take notice and lend us a hand.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

OPRAng

I wrote in too. I will still apply for Oprah's Angel Network. Everyone keep your fingers crossed!

Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

John

This is what I sent in...

Please consider Operation Photo Rescue for your show on people who went above and beyond in helping people recover from the wrath of Hurricane Katrina.  David Ellis and Becky Sell created an online volunteer network of Photograpers and graphic artists to scan, restore, and deliver restored photos to people who were devastated by the hurricanes.  I think it would be a great story to not only show the great work being done by OPR, but to also possibly introduce the photo owners to the volunteers who restored them, perhaps showing them the images for the first time on your show.  Please visit www.operationphotorescue.com for more details and also www.oprworkshop.org/portfolio.html to see some samples of the work being done.

Ptollemy

Here's what I sent in:

"Although I live on the other side of the world, I am fortunate enough to be able to help through Operation Photo Rescue (oprworkshop.org). Through the wonderful efforts of founding members Dave Ellis and Becky Sell, I can sit here at my computer, and help restore the wonderful photographs and memories that the victims hold so dear.

I understand that as I am so far away, there is no chance of an invitation to your show. As fabulous as that would be, that's not my motivation for writing this letter. What is important is that through the efforts of Dave and Becky, lots of other people like me, with skills ranging from beginner to amazingly talented, can take time out from our own lives to help someone else and in a small way, assist them in moving on from the tragedy that was Hurricane Katrina."

OPRAng

Whether Oprah picks us  or not, what everyone has written means so much. You guys are the best! Thanks!!!

Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

beckysell

Thanks for all the support!  It means a lot as everyone plugs away at the restorations.

milanab

i didn't save a copy of mine but i did tell them to look through the workshops at some of the work that has been done.  i tried to focus on the fact that opr was giving back  something different.  while others maybe out there giving day to day type stuff opr was giving back that which  was irreplaceable- the photos, documents,certificates and memories perhaps even some photos of loved ones lost in the storms.  i explained that the work was freely done and freely given to the families. 

davedawn

Photos are our link to the past, our most cherished souvenirs, and our legacy for the future

John

We need to revisit this... yesterday Oprah had a special where some New Orleans residents went back to their houses to see the destruction.  In just about every instance they showed the people looking for pictures and when finding them damaged saying that they were lost for good.  It was so frustrating watching it!!!   

We need to send her offices a mailbag of OPR info!

cmpentecost

How about sending Oprah a portfolio of some before and after pictures?  How about offering to have the pictures restored of the people they showed on TV yesterday?  I wrote to Oprah about OPR a couple of weeks ago, encouraging her to have OPR on her show, but I agree, we need to get a lot of material to her, to convince her to put OPR on her program.

Christine