• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Dotted Wallpaper

Started by Atlantis, March 20, 2009, 07:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

After convincing myself that the wrinkles were probably already in the wallpaper when they shot this portrait I think it's ready to return to sender. Unless of course you see flaws I missed due to the mesmerizing countless dots I replaced. After colourcorrections it seemed there was no wallpaper on the "pilars", hence the lighter look.

The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Hannie

Great job Atlantis!  (Don't you just love those dots!  :D)

When I look at the original photo it seems to me that the wallpaper "wrinkles" extend over both boy's faces, so it would be save to remove them? 

:up:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Atlantis

Aargh, how I wish you had not seen/said that. Now I need to develop a method to iron them wrinkles out without burning the paper ...

Atlantis

Tomorrow is the last day of my current teaching "marathon". So I'll be able to tackle the wallpaper and my moldproject again on friday (unless I oversleep  :crazy:).

Ausimax

Hi Atlantis,

This may help you with your wallpaper problem.

I copied & pasted the area marked out above the smaller boys, then moved the copied layer to the right and used levels to match the colour to that area, I then duplicated that layer and moved it down matching the pattern, then just keep duplicating, moving and matching the layer till you have covered all the areas needed.

Before I combined all the copied layers I blended the joins using a soft eraser at about 25% opacity then I combined all the copied layers and gave the joins a touch with the blur tool where needed.

Next back to the original layer and make a selection around the boys, back to the wallpaper layer and erase within the selection to show the boys.

While the selection is still active, invert it, then add another layer above and set its blending mode to Soft Light and with a soft brush set at 6-10% opacity paint over the areas you want to lighten with white and black where you want to darken.

What I have done is rough I just wanted to show how it would work, may save getting the iron out and scorching the wallpaper. ;D

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Atlantis

I decided on a combined attack : partial copy-paste-adjust (curves) on the worst parts / partial colouring the lighter parts with a greenish picked from the background-layer set to darken / partly doing the same but layer set to multiply / partly dodging & burning on a neutral gray layer set to soft light.

It's not perfect but the best I could get without getting mesmerized by the dots.
I sent the boys home through Hannie and if they still need some more work I assume Hannie will know where to find me and hunt me down with more dots :D .