• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

I'm Still Here, Too!

Started by VBrestorer, March 05, 2009, 06:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VBrestorer

Fellow volunteers:

Like Gerlinde, I thought I'd drop a line to let you know I'm still here  ^-^.  Though I was never very active with postings (I've been a registered member for 3-to-4 years, but am still rated a 'Newbie' on the forums) I have been checking the Recent Posts frequently.
   I must admit that I've also not been very active in restoring photos for OPR.  I've only done four, and they were back when I first registered.  Before I retired, I never believed it when retired people would say that they are so busy they don't know how they ever found time to work  :P -- I believe it now.  Don't get me wrong; I'm not suggesting that working a 9-to-5 job is better than retirement -- retirement is WAAAAY better.
   I am itching to do some more restoration work.  Maybe after the next run when some Easy ones are posted...  At the time I did my four restorations, I was using Adobe Elements 2.0, Windows 98SE, and a keyboard and trackball mouse on a Dell GX150  1 Ghz computer with 1 GB of memory.  Since then I've upgraded to Windows XP Pro, Photoshop CS3  :up: (because I bought CS3 so close to the issuance of CS4 Adobe sent me the upgrade to CS4 at no charge, but I haven't had a need to install it yet), and a Wacom Intuos 3 6x11 tablet running on a dual core Intel processor computer with 3+ GB of memory that I built (more like assembled) myself so I'm all "geared up"; I just need to discipline myself to devote the time that photo restoration requires.
   One question:  Hannie, will you be putting the picture of the pretty blond lady  :wow: back up as your avatar any time soon?  The green witch isn't nearly as pleasing to look at.

Everyone at OPR is doing terrific work.  I hope to get back into the fray soon so I can hone my meager skills with help from you all.

Larry

Hannie

Hi Larry,

Great to see you post on the forum, Tess has a few easy restores in her gallery so if you're fast you may be able to pick one before they're all gone!  Sounds like you're all set with your nice new configuration.

There is absolutely nothing that we won't do do to keep our volunteers happy and content so I changed my avatar back.  (the witch seemed more representative of what I look like now! ;D)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Hannie, it's nice to see your smiling face back as your avatar again!

Larry, I just upgraded to CS4, and while I'm still learning my way around, I do find the new stuff with the clone/healing brush tools pretty nice when it comes to fixing stripes, plaid, etc.  It's a feature I turn on as needed, but if I ever have to restore plaid again (God forbid), it will save the day.

Christine

Ausimax

NOW we know where to send the stripes and plaid! >:D

Saw one in the gallery last time I looked, would suit you down to the ground Chris, a nice plaid lounge. :funny:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Tess (Tassie D)

I'm still here too just not at home. We are having 4 nights at Low Head and yes I have the laptop for work lol.

Heres a link to our blog which I'll update daily.

http://tassied.wordpress.com/
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Max, bite your tongue!!   :funny:

Chris

VBrestorer

Thanks to all for the warm re-welcome.

Hannie:  Thank you, you brightened my day, and gave me the courage to display my own picture  ;) as my avatar.  You seem too sweet to ever look like that green witch!  I hope I'm not getting too personal, but are you originally from the Netherlands?  I wondered because your English grammar is impeccable.  For the most part, in my opinion, we USAers find it difficult to master another language so I'm always impressed by those who have.

Christine: Did you upgrade to CS4 from CS3?  If so, does CS4 provide functionality to the clone and healing brushes that CS3 did not have?  And if so, I'd better bite the bullet and upgrade to CS4.

Larry

cmpentecost

Hi Larry,

I did upgrade from CS3 to CS4.  I know that CS3 had some tools within the clone stamp to see the texture, but I never used it.  However, with CS4, I can now set it up to see EXACTLY what and where I am cloning.  I turn it on and off as needed, but have found it quite usually in certain areas (like repairing stripes, etc.)  I just upgraded a week ago, so am still learning about all of the new stuff.

Christine

VBrestorer

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your quick response.  I guess the next time I have a few minutes to do computer "maintenance" work, I'll install CS4.  Although I spent 30+ years in software development, installing a major program like CS4 over one that is working (CS3) still makes me nervous.  I guess it comes from my "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude.
Since your are "blazing the CS4 trail", I hope you won't mind if I bug you with questions.

Larry

Hannie

Hi Larry, sorry for the late response but it has been a little crazy over here, when it rains it pours they say?
I was born an raised in the Dutch polders.  Most people over here speak (at least) English and often German and French as well.  All 3 languages are required in high school, Holland is very small and getting on speaking Dutch only may have sufficed in the Golden Age but it doesn't any more!  ;D
So you see, it isn't so much that we like to put out effort to communicate in languages other than our own, we simply can't do without.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]