• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Forgotten Tool

Started by Mhayes, February 03, 2009, 09:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Lately I have been getting a lot of wedding photos back with yellow staining still showing on the bride's wedding gown. There are different ways to take care of this, but I think one of the easiest is something I seldom hear mention or one that I use. In the tool bar and the last choice in the brushes is the "Color Replacement Tool" brush. This brush works great on stains, since all you need to do is sample a good area (Ctrl Alt) and then brush the area you want changed. The great part is that you keep the detail, but change the color to match the area.

Here is also Adobe's instruction: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7600a.html

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Thanks for that tip Margie, I've never used this tool before.  I tried it for a while but I think I have to practice a little more, it seems a little complicated but maybe I'm just slow?  ;D
ctr+alt sometimes doesn't always seem to pick up the color but I'm sure I must be thinking the wrong way.(CS2)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

On a mac, it's option+click.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Atlantis

As I had to start all over again (due to the 300 to 240 changes) and this tool sounded so promising I gave it a try.
I discovered that it does not work on a separate adj.layer as cloning, healing and colouring do. You need to work on a merged duplicate like you do when using the patch tool.
Also I discovered either my english is worse than I thought or I'm not smart enough to understand the instructions as I read them in the link you provided.
I came to the sad conclusion that this tool was not made for me or not for the work I hoped it would do.
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Mhayes

Atlantis, looks like I am going to be on your favorite person's list, translated to mean: Beware of this person's advice!  ;D Sorry about the dpi, but we can blame Adobe for that one! On the Color Replacement tool, the reason I included the instruction was that I wasn't sure if it was the same for those with CS4. I didn't realize that it needed to be a merged layer, since I was taking a finished return that need correcting. Plus, the instructions were going on in more detail about what the brush could do. I just used the default setting and brushed the yellow away. Hanne, I really didn't do anything but treat this brush like you would the regular healing brush that requires that you sample first before brushing. For me it was so quick and smooth and great where you want the range of colors and shading to stay consistent with the surroundings.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie, thanks so much for the extra tips, I'm finally getting a feel for it, used this tool on a white wedding dress to replace yellow stains with the right color and it works like a champ. 
I noticed that you have to watch what color you pick/replace,  the results may vary.

Great tool,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ratz

Thanks Margie, have never used the brush :-[, sounds like it could have saved me a lot of work.

Tess (Tassie D)

Not using photoshop I found that sampling the colour, choosing the paintbrush set to blend mode colour(legacy), opacity 30% gives a similar result. Just brush on, stain is gone
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Thanks for the tip. I forgot about the replace color brush. It's a great way to get rid of some of the muck.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Ratz

Atlantis, I have just found that if you use a new layer set to overlay and fill with 50% grey,you can use the color replacement brush without having to use merged layers.

kiska

This is a simple way to correct discolorization. Create a new layer and set it to COLOR. Use a medium opacity brush, sample some good color and paint on the new layer.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Atlantis

I normally use Kiska's method. And will continue for now doing so as soon as I have my old monitor back. Hubby changed it yesterday for a new one as a surprise (mine is originally his) and now all the colours are messed up again. Callibrating turned out so timeconsuming, I wasted almost all morning trying to get things somewhat right and now I need to rush to work.  No change on doing some decent photo-editing before saturday.
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Hannie

Kiska's method is nondestructive and very useful if for any reason you would want to place back the color you removed.  Margie's method is great for a final touch up when you do the once over or if it isn't important that you can undo the replacement.

Atlantis, I couldn't do without me little Huey calibrator (hardware) anymore, if you were closer I would let you use it on your monitor!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

haleygd

I loveD my Huey too, back when I was using a Windows XP machine. But low and behold when Vista arrived, so too did a hefty upgrade cost which I decided was not worth it at the time.
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

cmpentecost

Kiska, when you say "medium opacity" brush, do you mean a soft brush where you lower the opacity on it?  What percentage do you lower it to?

Thanks.

Christine