• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

First Photo Feedback

Started by penegway, January 14, 2009, 05:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penegway

Just finished my first photo for OPR. Not sure how to attach a photo for anyone to see what was done, but I will figure it out sooner or later.
Tess has been so patient. Thanks Tess
Penegway Oklahoma
Leave things better than when you found them.

haleygd

This topic is covered in the handbook pretty well, but bottom line is you need to post your work on a photo website such as the ones advertised in the left info bar.

Gary
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Mhayes

Hi Penegway,

If you go to Forum Home>The New Volunteer Welcome Center>Posting Photos on the Forum>, you will see a post from Tess on how to post your photos: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2002.0.html
These are screen shots that make it easy to follow on how to upload your photos. If you have anymore questions, just let us know.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

You are more than welcome Penegway. You picked one of the hardest ones for a first one.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

penegway

Here is the before and after photo's. I need some feedback and ideas on how you would have done it. Thanks
Okla.

Mhayes

Hi Penegway,

You really picked a difficult one with one and have done a remarkable job restoring the photo. What you need to do is to go back and clean up the curtain where the damage is still showing. Also, I have downloaded your finished photo and you need some cleanup around the chairs where you will see damage coming out like spider webs. On something like the chairs, you will want to copy good sections and move them in place over the bad section. By that I mean using the lasso tool and copying to its own layer and then rotating into place. You could try cloning, but it will leave marks and not be as good. I have my background copy and then another copy or 2 that I work on. The other thing that you need to do is clean up the white border on the photo. This can be done by masking out the center part and filling in with white for the border. If you are able to, save the date at the bottom, but I really had a hard time seeing if it could be saved. It looks like Feb 13, but not sure of the year.

You are very brave to do this one!

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Penegway, you did a great job on this doozy!  I'm really looking forward to what it will look like after you have used Margie's tips.

You are more than brave for picking this one,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hello Penegway

My compliments on your clean-up of this bear.  I want to add a couple of observations to Margie's and Hannie's:  first, I think you might compare the little guy's head shape, hairline and shading (his head looks a bit flat on the left) to the original.  I'd try to pick up a little more detail.

The only other thing that jumps out at me is the splotching of dark on his suit and tie.  I'd even that out.

Nice work (and a LOT of it)!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

penegway

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone.
It was getting to the point I couldn't.t see the photo anymore. The more eyes looking the better.
Am implementing suggestions now.
Thanks again
Penny

penegway

:crazy: Ok, need all of your eyes again. What to do with the legs on this furniture, and I don't like his pants. Suggestions welcome.

haleygd

This one is a doozy! Just a few things as I think I see them...
I think his right shoulder and arm needs to be wider. I think the lapels are wider too and the suit is double breasted. I think it is only buttoned on top and the bottom is canted a bit, it looks like the jacket is too large and is bunching especially around the arm pits. On your pant legs I would try a linear gradient instead of solid black for the shading, the center crease may look better with a highlight line vice a black line. Try to recover the chair feet from the original. You might be able to do a copy, paste, flip horizontal to get the center chair's right front foot.
Hope that was not total confusion and helps a little!  :up: :up2:

Gary
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

penegway

I didn't post the new photo yet, but I guess photobucket decided to go ahead and replace the old one below. Please have a look. I need to get this one on to Tess quickly.
Thanks for all the help, especially from Gary. How did I miss the hearts on the curtains?