• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Go Navy

Started by Candice, January 06, 2009, 02:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Have either of you heard of spyware? There is no hiding around here!  :funny:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

It's coming along............

The faces are near to impossible to do.
Candice

Mhayes

Hi Bet,

I think you are fine with the faces, because they are at a distance so you get the general feel for them. I really like the overall look of the photo posted before this better. If you look at it you will see the difference in the lighting. To me it looks like 3/4 of the men will be in the shadows under the tree, while those on the very end will have more sunlight on them. What you have now looks too bright. You can vary the lightness of your men by doing a new layer and putting the mode at either overlay or softlight and checking the box for 50% gray. From there with a soft brush starting at first with a low opacity brush to either darken (black) or lighten (white) the sailors uniforms. Or your could experiment with different layers and modes and mask to get the uniforms shaded right.

I think your other post will give you a better idea of how the light is falling on the sailors and also the shadows. You will still have to repair the ink spots, but your photo will look more natural. Great job!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Thanks Margie.  I saw the difference to and posted to ask the question about the faces, so I let the other alone for the time being.  I have been going back and forth between the original and this one.  I'll work on it some more tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have to go back to the VA this morning.  Update on friend - 3 surgeries later, and one leg gone, the doctors finally finalized the end.  His loss ended 3-4 inches above the knee.  Now, he has new things to learn. 

Betty :)
Candice

Dave

Give OPR's best to your friend Betty.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Hannie

Betty, I'm sorry to hear about your firends medical problems.  I hope he'll will recover well and soon!

Best wishes,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Bet, so sorry to see how this has turned out with your friend. Hope his recovery will go smooth and our thoughts are with you.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Bets

Hugs and best wishes to you for being such a wonderful friend, and the same for your brave pal who's having to endure so much.  We shall send out the guardian angels.  (I think they've returned from their Caribbean holiday!)

Bless,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

Thank you all so much for the well wishes.  He's been moved to 2nd floor and now the next hard step of rehab and new lifestyle begins.  He sounded whipped this morning, however if he wants to get home, he knows it's got to be.   :hug:

On another note.   I received this about the photo I'm working on this morning.  Oft times, for a military picture, there is an avenue for replacement.  That is not the case for this one, but I did find one with the same background.  That was exciting: see class 86420

===============
Dear Mrs. Orr

Thank you for your interest in the archival records of the Naval
Submarine School housed here at the Submarine Force Museum Archives.
The Archives is fortunate to have a sizable collection of Sub School
records, class rosters and photographs.  Regrettably, however, the
collection is incomplete, and there are numerous gaps in the collection
of class rosters and photographs. 

I am sorry to report that none of the student personnel records
from the 1980s were preserved by Sub School, or were ever transferred to
the Submarine Force Archives.

One additional, non-Navy, source you may wish to check out is a
web site established by a former submariner for the purpose of
collecting and displaying Submarine School class photos and rosters
preserved and donated by former BESS students.  With any luck you may
find your client's class photo on that site.  If you do not find
anything on your first visit, please keep checking because new items are
constantly being added.  http://www.bessphotos.com/

With respect,
    Wendy
Wendy S. Gulley, Archivist
Submarine Force Museum (Archives)
Naval Submarine Base NLON

Candice

Candice

Let's see what you guys think now.
Candice

Hannie

Betty. you have come such a long way with your restore, the changes you made are a real improvement!

At this point I find it sometimes helps to go right back to the original and place them side by side and decide where I may need to add shading or not and any other things I may have overlooked.

Great job on a really difficult restore,

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

That was the next step.  Thanks Hannie. :)
Candice

glennab

Bets: one word – AWESOME!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

Thank you Miss Glenna! :-*
Candice

Mhayes

Bet, this is really coming together great! I would go back and darken the leaves of the tree to give more contrast to the picture.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]