• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Graphics Tablet

Started by Kenny, July 22, 2006, 12:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

I've always wanted to get an Intuos tablet to use with Photoshop, but I've never even tried one out to see if I would like it. To me it looks like I would have a lot more control than trying to draw with a mouse.

I would love to hear some reviews on using a graphic tablet. I have a few questions about using them, so I hope some of you are using them.

Thanks,

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

cmpentecost

I absolutely love my Wacom tablet, and can't imagine working in Photoshop, much less photo restoration, without the tablet.  It was very easy for me to learn to use....pretty much in a day.  If you do  lot with Photoshop, I strongly recommend getting a tablet.  Mine is the 9 x 12, and at first I thought it was too large, but I have a very large flat panel monitor, so I think the size tablet I have is perfect.   :up2:

Kenny

I guess the main question I have is this: is the tablet simply an input device or does it display the part of the image you're working on?

But why is the rum gone?

cmpentecost

The tablet is an input device, much like the mouse, but you have a drawing surface on the tablet on which you can use either the pen or the mouse that comes with the tablet.  The display remains on the screen.  With the pen, you have a lot more control with pen pressure, and small, fine detail work.  Again, I couldn't imagine working in Photoshop without my tablet.

If you have a photography store or computer store near you, they may have one you could look at.

Kenny

Eh...I live 100 miles south of Nowhere  :D. I'm serious, we have nothing near us. The nearest realy computer store is 2 hours away. I'd love to try one though, it really looks like it would be easier to do detail.

But why is the rum gone?

Peter_AUS

Slasher you really do need to try one out, buying one without trial at the price they are is a huge disappointment if you get it wrong.  Also the sizes of them do matter to individuals.

I have an elcheapo one and am seriously looking at getting a Wacom one but am unsure between the Graphire and the Intuous, being that the Intuos one costs twice as much, reasoning behind the difference in both is important.

I was looking at the 6 x 8 size because of desk real estate.
Regards,

Peter

Carol

Hi Slasher,

Couldn't live without my tablet.  (well I guess I could, but I'd prefer not to).  The Graphire is good value and, if you have never used a tablet before, is probably all you would need for photo restoration.  If,  however you are doing a lot of illustration work, you might find the intuos more suitable, especially because of the added pressure sensitivity.  I dream of owning a Cintiq, however, the budget simply doesn't allow it.

They are all very simple to use.  You have much more control than simply using a mouse and if you do sit and work on an image for hours, you will probably notice that your hand does not get as sore.

Carol
Carol

www.pixelbypixel.com.au
www.littlecritters.com.au

Peter_AUS

Carol what do you think about not having the extra buttons on the tablet and also not as good a pen that is on the Intuos compared to the Graphire.  Also do you know where the best price is to purchase from here in Australia.  Thanks.
Regards,

Peter

Carol

Hi Peter,

As far as the extra express keys and touch strips are concerned, I'm not sure if I would really utilise them because I am so familiar and comfortable with keyboard commands.  They have become second nature. 

As for the pen sensitivity;  For restoration work I have been happy with the Graphire.  I have, however been doing a lot of illustration work lately and learning to use Illustrator.  Here, I think (when using vector based graphics), the extra sensitivity would be really useful.   It would also be nice to have the pen tilt capability that the intuos has.  Coming from a Visual Arts background, I would probably find that more natural for drawing. 

I bought mine from AIM in Box Hill.   http://www.ausmedia.com.au/wacom.htm  At the moment, a 6"x8" graphire 4 is AU$275.  You can pick up a 6"x8" Graphire 3 or a smaller size tablet  for much less than this. 

One other thing you may like to consider, if you have a widescreen monitor, the wide format intuos may be more suited to you.

Carol
Carol

www.pixelbypixel.com.au
www.littlecritters.com.au

vhansen

I've been using Wacom for years. I currently have the Intuos 2, 4x5.  I highly recommend the use of a tablet for restoration work.  Those who don't find it useful usually don't have it set up correctly.  Tablets work the same way a mouse works, however, instead of holding a mouse, you're holding a pen, and using the tablet much like a mouse pad.  I find the most valuable feature the pressure sensitivity.  Extra features, such as the programmable buttons aren't really a necessity, so even an older Wacom model, without those features, would be adequate.  I only use the pen when working in Photoshop, and use my regular mouse when doing everything else (you can have both working simultaneously).

It's important that you check whether the program you use supports a tablet and pressure sensitivity.

Ptollemy

Peter_AUS: Wacam have just launched an Australian site: http://www.buywacom.com.au/

They have a very basic starter model for $149. I've just ordered one (postage to Melbourne was $13 via courier, NOT Australia Post). I'll let you know what I think once it's arrived.

Kind regards
Ptollemy

pcraft

Hi Vikky,

I recently purchased a Wacom Intuos3  6X11 and have been having a heck of a time with it... 
In your recent post you stated, " Those who don't find it useful usually don't have
it set up correctly."  I'm wondering if you might have some setup tips for a novice user?

Robert  ( pcraft  )

vhansen

Here's a screen shot of the settings in Windows>Control Panel>Wacom.
http://www.pbase.com/image/64448837.jpg

pcraft

Thanks for the link Vikki...  Although, my tablet came default mapped to the entire screen..  I've fiddled with pen settings somewhat. Been trying to optimize it for tilt etc. without much luck...  lol  Maybe I need an airbrush pen to optimize it to it's full capability..  I've also had trouble with pressure sensitivity, when drawing, it does darken some but not as much as one would figgure it would..    Anyway, thanks for your prompt reply!!!   ;)

cmpentecost

Robert,

Although I picked up on the "basics" of the tablet fairly quickly, the skills of pen sensitivity and using the little tabs on the left and right side of the tablet took time to get used to.  Now, however, they are second nature, and I don't know how I could possibly work in Photoshop without my tablet.  Stick with it, and it will eventually all fall in place.

Christine