• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

I Think It's Done . . .

Started by lurch, December 13, 2008, 01:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurch

. . . but it really needs a fresh pair of eyes. Eagle eyes are best, but anyone's will do. Mine are shot.
What have I missed?

<C>

<C>

battleaxe

Candice

What is in the background? I see a star and what looks like a part of a set on the drapes. I also see a date at the bottom of the picture:  St. Michaels Feb 196_

The young lady is lovely.  You have to smile when you see her smile!  :)
Candice

glennab

Lurch, all I can say is "Isn't She Lovely?" What a wonderful photo, and an awesome restoration.  I have to agree that it would be best to keep the writing at the bottom.  And only two other things bother me:  I think the sleeve on our right should give the impression of being filled with shoulder and arm.  That's what I see in the original.  And the "pouf" at her waist on our right appears larger and "pouffier," if there be such a word, in the original.

As for the background, I can see the star on the drapes, and what looks like the corner of a darker drape at the top left.  But the item on the right looks to me like an alien about to suck her into its maw.  Unless there's some way to truly identify it, I think it's better left out.  I suspect the plain drapes, as you have them, will work just fine.

These are definitely not the observations of an "eagle eye."  More like someone who thinks so far out of the box that she often can't find the box at all.  But once in a while I catch something.  So for what it's worth...

Bless,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

lurch

Thank you all for your eagle eyes! There are clearly a few things yet to be fixed.

I'll have to admit there's a lot of artistic(?) license been exercised on this one. Margie suggested axing the dark triangle and the parasol-shaped alien. Following MJ's advice I made a command decision that the star, which seemed to have no logic in its positioning, would go too. So I hope the plain curtain will do.

lagirl, if it were not for you I would have missed the writing entirely! One of my first actions was to crop that messy border off so I could concentrate on the 'real' image. Learned a lesson . . .

GK, I had such a hard time deciding what was real and what was damage in the original that I pretty much re-invented the dress with a little help from a web site on 18th century fashion, including making the poufs symmetrical - did you know that the style she's wearing is called a polonaise? I agree that the sleeves need tweaking.

Battleaxe, thank you so much for your kind words.

She is lovely, isn't she? Kept me going whenever I thought about throwing in the towel.

<C>
<C>

glennab

Lurch, no towel throwing!  That's a primary OPR directive.  I've hidden all mine, just in case there's ever a temptation...

I didn't know the name of that style of dress, but it is really striking.  Polonaise shall go into my database as a great word and a lovely style. Thanks for sharing the information with me.   (ALWAYS NEED INPUT!)

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

lurch

OK guys, I've tweaked the sleeves and pulled out the writing (which looks an awful lot like lettering - GK will remember rapidographs . . .). Now I have a favor to ask of our U.S. manager types. Would some kind soul find out if Mrs. Rosetti remembers the date that was inscribed on the photo? The day in Feb. and the last digit of the year seem unrecoverable, and I'd like to leave no blanks if at all possible.

<C>
<C>

glennab

OMG, Lurch – rapidographs – my fondest nightmare come true.  I once worked at a printing company and did a lot of film work on pharmaceutical labels.  I'd never be able to see now to do the magic I did once with my 00 and an x-acto knife on 4 point type.  Don't think I'd want to go back to those days even if I had eyes that functioned properly!

I'm going to have to take a sleeping pill tonight in order to prevent my going back to that time in my dreams! (Kidding – sorta – kinda)

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)