• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

It's a real book!

Started by Atlantis, December 14, 2008, 07:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Shujen, you can use the process or Pantone duotone sets and then convert back to RGB.  That's especially a good way to fine tune your color.  Unless you really are going to use a Pantone color (many of which are outside the color gamut of the other modes), your best bet is to try that method to give yourself the ability to adjust colors.  Although you won't have a true duotone, you'll have the look of one and better control.

Another possibility would be to get the image to an acceptable range of saturation, convert to grayscale, and then convert back to RGB, create a separate color layer an with RGB formula and play with the opacity.

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Atlantis

Thanks all of you that reacted to The Book.
As for duotones, I need to finish tons of stuff before the end of the week so I will keep it brief.

One important thing though : always use the channel mixer adj. layer to convert to B&W (don't forget to click the monochrome checkbox on the bottomleft)  and adjust the sliders to your liking. This way you have much better control and results than desaturating with Hue/Sat or, even worse, simply converting to grayscale. Next you can use levels and curves to tweak the contrast and so on.

There's 2 ways to get duotones. First of all the proper way.
Once you are happy with your B&W you go to Image - Mode and convert to grayscale. At that point you return to Image - Mode and choose duotones. That's when the fun starts. I use the pantones and roam around to pick two colours I like.  You can also tweak them a little in the curves box by doubelclicking on the diagonal.
Finding the right colour may take some time as there is so many to choose from ( and I keep forgetting to write down my favorite combinations ... *note to self* ).
Once finished you need to convert back to RGB to be able to save it as psd or jpg. That's all.
Two examples :
http://secretatlantis.smugmug.com/gallery/5470846_JbFji#334486374_8VkNL

Oddly enough I postprocessed the bookphoto's the improper way  :D but due to some urgent work to be done I will explain that option some other time.

edited to add the checkboxtip
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Hannie

Atlantis, thanks for explaining the right way to get duotones, can't wait for you to tell the wrong way to do it!   ;D

Great tip you gave on converting to black and white using the channel mixer adj. layer.  I tried it for myself using all 3 forementioned methods and I never realized that the result would be so different.  The channel mixer adjustment layer gave the photo with much more detail.  I always used hue/saturation but from now on I will use your method, thanks for sharing these tips with us!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Atlantis

Glad I could help - edited for one more tip on the channel mixer - back to business again :D
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

jneil2

Beautiful book, Atlantis.  You are very talented!

Jan