• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

File Size reminder

Started by kiska, June 27, 2008, 03:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiska

Please, when you have completed a restoration, do not "Save for Web". "Save as a jpeg" at the highest quality.

Some images are coming back at the correct dimensions but ONLY 72 ppi. The images should have a resolution of 300 ppi for the best print.

Thanks

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Tom

I would suggest saving as a Tiff.
Why use jpg which is destructive.
I also do not know why these damaged photos are not scanned as Tiffs to begin with.

Mhayes

Hi Tom,

Good point, but some problems with those ideas. Tiff is a great way to save and less destructove, but the problem is the huge file size, which becomes a problem in downloading and uploading both. All of our images are stored on PhotoShelter and we would run out of the 35 GB that has been donated to us in real short order if they were stored as Tiffs. While Tiff is great, I think you will find that some of the top stock agencies are now requiring that the uploads be in jpeg at Level 10 instead of Tiff and they no longer want CD sent with the image as a Tiffs. I know for sure that is  Alamy's Stock's requirement for photos submitted. Next we go into the problem of downloading these photos and all of our printers want them as jpegs. There are printers like whcc that will take .psd as well as .jpeg, but they have not been one of our printers.

As to the question of why images are not scanned in as Tiffs to begin with, that is because we do not scan photos in. We go into areas hit by disaster and set up shop in places like libraries. We have copy stands with high quality digital cameras to take the shots. In Biloxi alone, we shot over 3,000 photos. If we had been scanning, our numbers would have been in the double digit. It is not only not practical and would have taken too much time, but you have the problem of pollution. Some of the photos are still damp and most of them are really dirty. Can you imagine how often you would be cleaning the scanner? We also have photos that are so large that they would not fit on a scanner and even have glass hanging to them.

In a perfect world, Tiffs are great!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tom

Yes, I see what you mean about scanning.
However one can get a very high quality file using a camera.
Too bad you have to save as a jpg.

Mhayes

Tom, I forgot to mention that even though the files are jpg and that's how we upload back; I save my file as a .psd to work on, so that I can work with layers and also save different version without further compression. Raw capture would have been tempting if it wasn't for the fact you double your file size and then the work to get it ready to upload.

It's a trade off in the end, but results are still great compared to what the family brought in.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]