• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Photoshop V5.0

Started by TerryB, November 07, 2008, 07:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerryB

Remember V5?
Excellent and not too far off.
Thought the group might find this amusing.
Happy Friday.
http://i36.tinypic.com/2quu0qw.jpeg

For Photoshop release history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_release_history
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Mhayes

Funny! Thanks for sharing.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Terry, the more I looked at the "desktop," the more I appreciated the creativity and work that went into it.  It's a hoot!  Would I love to have that framed and in my office.

I remember the excitement in the art department when Photoshop was released with LAYERS.  It's fun to go back into the archives and see all the work-arounds from before that time.  My punk (30-ish and 40-ish) associates rag on me all the time about when I was young and had to carve type out of rocks.  Bad enough that I go far enough into the past to have used punched-paper tape to set type when I was in high school.

I was just reading some tutorials and descriptions of CS4, and it would seem that the new Photoshop is well worth the upgrade, especially for photographers.  How far we've come, especially oldsters like me.

Love technology!

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Terry thanks for sharing. Seeing the rubdown type in the picture reminded me that the other day I was in the card section at a local Target store. I saw these make your own card kits, and guess what. They had the words like "Happy Birthday" and Thank You" in rubdown type. So I guess the more things change the more they stay the same. Someone sure say the niche for those without computers.

Johnboy.

TerryB

Delighted get responses from folks who remember Prestype, and maybe even the days before Magic Markers replaced pastel chalk for layouts?

Hand-lettered headline type.  Cold type.  Linotype.  Monotype.

Remember the first photosetter?...ahh, no more paper proofs that smeared when  the rubber cement pick-up went astray.  The delightful odors of benzine and spray fix.  Keyline/paste-up and ruling pen crop/score/and fold marks.  Push pins through illustration board and sometimes through your finger.  StatMaster.  Layout pads.  Color tissues.  Color keys.

Now there's Illustrator, Photoshop and Quark/InDesign and I'm not smart enough to figure out whether that's good or bad.  Obviously it's progress.  But I have many former colleagues who couldn't adapt to the digital transition.

I was in sales and consequently mostly unaffected except for the occasional client who got upset because the layout didn't look like a pre-transition Magic Marker layout, and thought the computer layout cost more.  Then came that explanation....

Sorry 'bout the digression, but GK and Johnboy got me started down that memory lane.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Charlene5

Thank you everyone for making me smile after spending the day doing bumper to bumper combat in the Horrible Houston traffic.  Glad to be home where I could recline in the street for 20 minutes with no danger at all.

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

glennab

Terry, I've spent the day reminiscing about some of the things I DON'T MISS, like X-acto knives, trips to the doctor to repair sliced fingers from said knives, a machine (I don't even remember what it was called; all I remember was that it rotated to expose edges of the film) to create trapping on negatives.

I worked at a label printing company where we processed step-and-repeat negatives from single layouts for pharmaceutical companies.  The camera took up a whole room, and when we had to do more than 30 repeats, the camera would take at least
45 minutes to process one piece of film, and sometimes it got so hot it broke the glass cover that held the art.  On the computer it took seconds, was precise, and we didn't have dust-covered negatives to touch up with rapidograph pens.

And then there was the amazing artist who couldn't get spray mount to come out of the can, so she turned it around, looked right at the nozzle and sprayed herself in the eye.  And she'd get bored doing color keys for Bausch & Lomb in the correct colors, so I'd have to send her back to the darkroom to get rid of the magenta and cyan proof and make one in BROWN and ORANGE, as required by the customer.

Of course, I don't remember ever having layouts magically disappear from my art table.  Or type become scrambled when I wasn't looking, or my light table crashing.

I love it when the computers do weird things and our pub managers go nuts because we can't explain why the copy that looked perfect in the original document became alphabet soup when we made it into a pdf.  Somehow they won't accept our telling them "sometimes it just happens.  We don't know why."  Push that panic button!

I also encountered techno-phobes.  One woman was so afraid of the computer that I couldn't train her because she wouldn't touch the keyboard.

Don't apologize about the digression.  I gave my I-Mac a huge hug at work today.  Wouldn't go back to carving those rocks for any amount of money!  It's been fun remembering the old days and being grateful that we don't have to struggle with all that "stuff" any more.

Cheers,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)