• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

I think its done, feedback please

Started by PaulD, November 01, 2008, 04:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulD

Hi
I think my photo is done. Can you tell me what you think Please.

Thanks

Paul

kiska

Try running levels in each channel. Move each outside arrowhead yto where the graph begins to peak. This should take down the bluish/yellow cast. The white spot in the middle is damage.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum, what a great job you did on your first restore!
While I was typing a reply, Kiska already gave you tips on how to improve the Levels.
Kiska used the original photo for the adjustment levels, which is the best way to start working with this kind of restore.
If there is a way that you can go back and redo your levels that would be great.  If you can't do that you can also use your restored version and make a new color balance adjustment layer and move the sliders to (midtones):

Cyan/red           +16
magenta/green  -13
yellow/blue       +13

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

PaulD

Hi
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I have made some adjustments. How does this look?

Thanks
Paul

Johnboy

Paul,

You appear to be on the right track. The lower left corner appears dark and could be lightened some. I have been reading the Katrin Eismann's book about adding a Levels adjustment layer and clicking OK without making any changes. Then change the blend mode. In this case I tried Linear Dodge. (You might find another one that works better. Experiment.) Then Invert the mask (Cmd-I/Ctrl-I). Be sure to reset the color picker to the default colors and then select a Gradient tool. I chose Black, White. Then started in the lower left corner dragging towards the upper right to the area just above the boy's elbow. (Experiment here too to get the area you want.) This brings out the lower left corner better, but also shows a little more spot damage in his shirt and in that corner. Then I added another layer and just painted with 5% black over the girl's turtleneck to knock down some of the white. This all was done quickly so it is not the greatest. I would also cover up the white spot on the chair arm. It may be a specular reflection or damage. It just seems eye catching as it is.

Some of the other more experienced members may have a different suggestion too.

Johnboy