• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Increasing file size while restoring.

Started by PatW, October 20, 2008, 04:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatW

A few days ago, I thought I saw a recommendation for doubling the size of a smaller photo while it is being worked on and then resampling back down before it is submitted.  Now I'm wondering if I read this correctly and if I did, how would this be an advantage, since we are constantly zooming in and out anyway?   

(If I misread the post, I'm going to blame it on the cold.)

Pat

Ausimax

Hi Pat,

This is something I do with small photos, 3x3's and 4x5's. particularly if they are group photos, you find that there are few pixel to work with in facial features and it is easy to loose detail during restoration.

I don't know how well up-sizing works in anything other than PS CS2 which I use, and doubling the file size causes no problems that I can see - I know that it is only interpolating to create extra pixels, but it does give you a lot more wriggle room to carry out repairs.

Up-size using Bicubic Smoother and downsize using Bicubic Sharper.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

PatW

Thank you Max,

That makes sense.  I can see that with extra pixels you may be able to end up with more subtle gradiations and less choppy transitions. 

Pat