• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

First Restore - Help Please

Started by ditto1118, October 29, 2008, 10:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ditto1118

Hi All-

This is my first OPR photo restoration and I was hoping I could get some opinions on the best approach to fixing my photo. I've gone in and fixed the color balance and minor imperfections, but now I'm trying to figure out the best way to tackle the crinkles and discoloration in the upper left. My first instinct is use the clone stamp - but I'm not sure if there's an easier way. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

I'm also new to using photobucket, so I hope this works...

weewood

The clone stamp tool is good, but I think the patch tool, and the healing brush are better. These tools will blend the pixels in the damaged areas, whereas the clone stamp tool just copies the pixels. Regards, David
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

Mhayes

Hi Ditto,

I agree with David on picking the patch tool and healing brush over the clone tool, but it also depends on the photo which tool you will want to use. I love using the lasso to select good areas and then putting that selection on it own layer. I can transform or rotate it to fit and later with use one of the other tools blend in my selection. Probably this is all confusing and I would like to suggest that Katrin Eismann's book: Photoshop Restoration & Retouching would be great help for you. You can download the exercises from her website to work through the book.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi Leah, the frustration begins. They all look good until you download them. I tend to use the clone if its very hard to get info out of a picture. As I don't use photoshop I don't know what tools you use. I did this quick, very rough try using the clone and lasso to get leaves from the other side of the tree and then darkened them.  The tree bark was just sampled from an undamaged area and then darkened to blend in.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]