• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

First OPR Restoration - Needs Fresh Eyes

Started by lurch, October 04, 2008, 04:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurch

This is the first one I've done for OPR. It's been a pretty easy one so far - but I have a question about the background. Since it was shot in front of a studio backdrop whose nature wasn't obvious, I just replaced it. Is this ok? Also, any comments/critiques are most welcome.

<C>

Mhayes

Hi Lurch,

Very nice job on your first restore!  :up: We want that the background to be kept the same, but in your case it looks like the studio backdrop and you are fine. Unfortunately, we are getting a lot of volunteers who are switching out the background for something they think looks nice, which is not what we want. Some of the studio backgrounds may look hard to repair, but as soon as I can fine Mary's tutorial on doing backgrounds I will post the link.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

You've done a beautifuljob on it Lurch. :up: You did well finding a background that matches the original.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

lurch

Thank you, Margie and Tess. About the background - I used (PS CS3) Filter>Render>Clouds with foreground and background colors sampled from the original and just kept re-running the filter until I had something that resembled the original. In your opinions, is this one good enough to send home? I'm anxious to try another.
<C>

Tess (Tassie D)

I think so Lurch. I can't see anything else that needs doing. The shadows on the top of his ears looks a bit dark but then its like that in the original and thats how the owners will remember it.
Send him on home. :up2:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Yes, I think he looks great and is ready to be sent back.  :up: Your background looks like what the original backdrop probably looked like.  I'm glad you kept rerunning the filter, because sometimes we get ones where clouds are substituted for the background, which can look odd. Before you send make sure that your photo is still at 300 dpi and has the same dimensions as the original. Thanks.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Lurch

Congrats on your first (very fine) restoration.  I discovered that another way to get a good "clouds" background without it looking like the actual render clouds function is by creating several layers of clouds, vary the opacity on each one until they blend well.  Even adding a blur to a layer or two looks good.  You did a great job of keeping him from looking as if he were "pasted" on the background.  That's a tricky little accomplishment in itself.

I'm glad you've joined us!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)