• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New guy, first timer

Started by DavidS, September 30, 2008, 05:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidS

Just joined up last night, got my first picture completed today. Thought I would post up and see if you can suggest any improvements.

Any tips? Hints?

mitzs

David, that is a great job! And you did it so fast. I am jealous. One question though, the white spots on his chin? Is that his bead going grey or is it damage or mold? I am having to use my laptop at the moment so I can't really tell. Welcome to OPR and great work!

klassylady25

Perhaps just a bit more saturation.   But a great job.   And from this view, mitzs, he's greying at the beard.

DavidS

Quote from: mitzs on September 30, 2008, 06:05:14 PM
David, that is a great job! And you did it so fast. I am jealous. One question though, the white spots on his chin? Is that his bead going grey or is it damage or mold? I am having to use my laptop at the moment so I can't really tell. Welcome to OPR and great work!

It looked to me like graying hair so I left it...  Think it should be brown?

I was really leery of upping the saturation or changing the color cast because I wasn't sure how old the picture was. It IS an Olan Mills shot, after all (had to borrow the logo elsewhere to reconstruct it) and Olan Mills shots are notorious for poor prints.

mitzs

Quote from: Candice on September 30, 2008, 06:08:37 PM
Perhaps just a bit more saturation.   But a great job.   And from this view, mitzs, he's greying at the beard.

Thanks Candice, I really am missing my 17 in Acer. Hopefully by monday!

Tess (Tassie D)

Thats a great job for your first restoration David. :up: The only spot I see is on the bottom girls left cheek. She still has a bit of dicolouration left there beside the nose.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Hi David and welcome to OPR.

You have done a wonderful job on cleaning up this photo.  When I looked at it on my screen it seemed to have a cloudy film so I did a Level adjustment on the whole photo and then one on each face including the hair.  It brightened it up a bit and looks less cloudy now.

Mary

DavidS

Quote from: Tassie D on September 30, 2008, 07:29:05 PM
Thats a great job for your first restoration David. :up: The only spot I see is on the bottom girls left cheek. She still has a bit of dicolouration left there beside the nose.

Thanks! Sometimes I stare at picture for so long, I stop seeing some of the details. It is nice to have a second set of eyes to catch these things!

DavidS

Quote from: mschonher on September 30, 2008, 08:00:11 PM
Hi David and welcome to OPR.

You have done a wonderful job on cleaning up this photo.  When I looked at it on my screen it seemed to have a cloudy film so I did a Level adjustment on the whole photo and then one on each face including the hair.  It brightened it up a bit and looks less cloudy now.

Mary

Thanks for the welcome. I was leery of doing too much in that regard after reading the bit about not altering yadda yadda.

I'll go ahead and brighten it a bit then, since it seems to be ok.

glennab

Welcome to OPR, David

I love that you've already completed your first restoration.  And you did a fine job.  I think the dad has grey in his beard, and I wouldn't change it.  Don't hesitate to post your WIPs if you need feedback.  I think I love helping my fellow OPR-sters figure out their dilemmas nearly as much as I do working on mine.  And many of our other members are quick with feedback, too.  They've saved my butt a few times!

It's wonderful to have another Brit among us.  We have such a great global community.  The only frustration is how in the heck are we going to have our convention?  Looking forward to seeing your posts!

Bless,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)