• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hey guys you have to check out CS4 learning center at NAPP

Started by mitzs, September 23, 2008, 03:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitzs

I have fell in love with the adjustment panel which would be great photo restoration. And if your not a member don't worry about it. They have open it up to the public for a short time.

http://www.photoshopuser.com/?page=cs4/videos&video=scott_cradjustment

FayRatta

Oh, man...way cool. And I was going to put my fingers in my ears and hum and try to ignore CS4. I can't afford it right now.  :mad:
Yes, that is very cool. I don't even want to watch the other videos. Didn't they JUST come out with CS3? Do you think they have all these ideas but just dole them out to us so that we're 'forced' to buy the upgrade?
Fay

weewood

I have put Photoshop CS4 Extended on my Christmas list. Far be it for me to be behind the times, besides the tutorials I've seen regarding CS4, tells me it worth the upgrade price. Later, David
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

mitzs

Quote from: FayRatta on September 23, 2008, 04:22:29 PM
Oh, man...way cool. And I was going to put my fingers in my ears and hum and try to ignore CS4. I can't afford it right now.  :mad:
Yes, that is very cool. I don't even want to watch the other videos. Didn't they JUST come out with CS3? Do you think they have all these ideas but just dole them out to us so that we're 'forced' to buy the upgrade?

lol, you are funny. You can't even buy it yet. I think I read it would be another month. They are only taking preorders now. Yes I belive they have the ideas already but just haven't been able to put them into production. I would bet they have ideas for their next 3 versions but just haven't been able to develop them yet. I am like you, can't afford it either. However, it will be going on the wish list for next year.  ;)

mitzs

Quote from: weewood on September 23, 2008, 04:44:57 PM
I have put Photoshop CS4 Extended on my Christmas list. Far be it for me to be behind the times, besides the tutorials I've seen regarding CS4, tells me it worth the upgrade price. Later, David

I agree with you weewood. I thougth I was lucky to get CS3 with all the new stuff it had in it. I have the CS3 web premium suite, do you happen to know if I can buy just Photoshop CS4 update or will I have to buy the whole suite? To update CS4 photoshop?

Ratz

Not fair Mitz! I've only upgraded from elements to cs3 in the last few months, now you show me a new 'must have' :(
I do want to retire from work at some stage!!! :up:

mitzs

Quote from: Ratz on September 23, 2008, 08:02:54 PM
Not fair Mitz! I've only upgraded from elements to cs3 in the last few months, now you show me a new 'must have' :(
I do want to retire from work at some stage!!! :up:

I know what you mean Ratz. I've only had PS for 5 months now. However, this new verision really looks a must have for people that restore photos. Did you see the video on camera raw that scott kelby did, and I really love that live brush preview. I'll wait till next year to try and get it by then we should know if it as great as what it sounds like now. There will be enough reviews and opinions on it by then.

mschonher

CS 4 looks great but do we really need any new gadgets to play with in PS?  I used PS 5 for 10 years, can you imagine that?  I use CS3 now and I feel I'll never need to upgrade from that as there are so many features I don't know how to use.  I read that you might not be able to upgrade this version, has anyone else heard that?  i think getting a good monitor calibration program like Huey, would be a really good choice for all the restorers here at OPR.  IMHO of course.

Mary

pcraft

As Mitz sugested, you have to see what camera raw has to offer in CS4..  Here's a link,  http://tv.adobe.com/#ch+Photographer  , at Episode 8, Julieanne Kost shows you the power behind the new features in Adobe Camera Raw....   Simply amazing..   :up:  Oh, there are also loads and loads of other vids here also... 

mschonher

I'm really not sure what camera raw is pcraft. Does it pertain to what we are doing here on the restoration end of things?  I'm not dissing PS, I love it but this version sounds like it's more for professional photographers and graphic designers.  I just do the restoration end of things so I feel content with what I have.  I know there are lots of photographers here on the forums and they are probably all excited about CS4.  I sounded like a wet blanket!

Mary

weewood

Quote from: mitzs on September 23, 2008, 06:41:24 PM
I agree with you weewood. I thougth I was lucky to get CS3 with all the new stuff it had in it. I have the CS3 web premium suite, do you happen to know if I can buy just Photoshop CS4 update or will I have to buy the whole suite? To update CS4 photoshop?

I would think that you could buy just the CS4 upgrade for Photoshop. At least that makes sense to me. Regards, David
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

pcraft

Hi Mary...  Camera Raw is considered your digital negative, if I'm not mistaken...  Most cameras these days allow you to capture your images as RAW, JPG etc. or even both at the same time...  I'm not an expert at all this but I think that's a simplified explanation which maybe others here can expand upon.. 

Anyway, here's another link which explains some of the new exciting tools, which may be very useful with OPR work...  http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs4/index.html

old.geezer

Hi Guys.

Camera RAW is the raw data that come with all the info from the camera and is a must for Photography. Used in conjunction with Lightroom it is a very powerful tool indeed, and for phorography is better for digital developing than PS. Where as PS is more for manipulation and repairing shots that are less than perfect ,eg. replacing blown out skies and such.
As far as restoration is concerned you wont have a need for it. All the restoration work is done on Jpegs so the extra info is not there, although Jpegs can be processed in Lightroom dialogue.
I have used PS for years and  CS4, has no MUST HAVE's for me in the restoration field. Its just so cool for us gadget freaks.
Pete Bird

haleygd

Using Camera RAW to process a jpeg that needs restoration is indeed do-able. It might be a great first start to get the white balance fixed as well as making spot adjustments to faded or over dark areas.  May be able to pull details out of the image that can't be done other ways. I open all my jpeg in Camera RAW.  If they need adjustments I do them, if not I just press OPEN and pass it through to Photoshop.

You can upgrade just Photoshop to CS4 at $349 or the entire suite for $599.  They are running free shipping right now too. And if you are an educator, there is a slightly discounted price from these.

Gary
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

PatW

Actually, you can upgrade just the Photoshop CS4 for $199.  When I upgraded, there was a discount for NAPP members.  As far as I know, that still exists.

One very useful feature of CS4 is the clone stamp preview.  Once you alt click on a source, when you place your brush over the spot you want to fix, you can see exactly what will be stamped.  Among other things, this makes extending stripes, lines, etc., a snap. 

I hadn't really planned on upgrading to CS4, I generally skip one or two versions, but I'm glad I did it.

Pat