• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Software and Vocations

Started by glennab, July 10, 2006, 03:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mschonher

Another self taught user with CS and a Wacom tablet. I started in 1995 when I purchased my first computer just to stay in touch with my daughter who had moved from one coast to another. A relative asked me to make them a copy of one of the old family photos. I didn't even realize that was possible! The scanner and printer came with the pc but I had no idea how to use them. Soon  I was hooked and  playing with whatever program was on that old pc. Adobe home edition came next then 5.5 and now CS and here I am with all of you.

I have no formal degree in art but I've been painting and selling my work for 30 years. I taught the decorative arts as well as other mediums for 12 years in California. I also freelanced for a textile company there and who knows you may have one of my designs lurking on your dinner plates or bath linens.lol

I'm retired now and doing some work for a photographer whenever she needs it. I'ts not enough to keep me busy though but OPR has taken care of that.

It sure is intersting to read about everyone who responded to this poll.........Mary

happyheart

I'm also self taught, as far as Photoshop goes.  I use CS2.  I just invested in the Wacom Cintiq monitor/tablet when my large Viewsonic died.  I absolutely love the Cintiq and don't regret a single penny I am going to be paying for quite a while!

I use to be a network administrator, in my prior life.  When circumstances in Northern Virginia changed for both me and my husband, we decided it was time to finally make the move.  We moved to Florida to be close to our grandchildren and oldest daughter, and to 'semi retire'.  It seems we are actually working harder now than we did then....if that is possible!

Any way, I have been doing fine art and decorative art ever since the 70's when I picked up my first paint brush....please don't calculate my age  :P  I started playing with Photoshop while I was still a network admin, for stress relief, and was hooked immediately.  It's such a huge program, that there is always something to learn.  NAPP has been very useful to me, mainly for the Photoshop World conferences.   I have attended four of them now, and the training is top notch!  Katrin Eismann's books, and Dan Margulis' books have been invaluable for me.  I have also learned a lot from the Total Training DVD series.  PhotoCafe also has some top quality DVDs and Lynda.com training is worth a look.  Photo restoration is as satisfying to me as actually painting with acrylics or oils and I don't have the mess to clean up later!  Its especially satisfying when I can help someone who has lost so much, like we do in this organization.

Thank you Dave and Becky for getting us started!
If it's artsy or Photoshop, I'll give it a try!
aka Betty