• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need some help please.

Started by mitzs, September 21, 2008, 04:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitzs

That purple stuff is driving me crazy. I don't know if it is mold or not. But I am having a real hard time with the edge of woman hair in the back and the blue background. And what with the right side of the woman sweater? I've patched, cloned, healed, spot healed and that mess is the best I could get it. And dummy me did most of that work on 1 layer.  :mad: Any tips from guys? A nice long tutorial would be nice because I know you guys have nothing better to do then stop everything for lil ole me and write one.  ;D Thanks in advanced give me the good and the bad. I can take it.

glennab

Mitzs, I can't see any purple around the edge of the woman's hair, but I tweaked the color to make it a bit cooler, and I can definitely see a pattern/grain over the entire photo.  It's most evident in their clothing and other dark areas.  You might be able to try a despeckle and see if it helps without degrading the photo much.  If not, I'd make a copy of the layer, blur it a bit to get rid of the pattern and then mask off what needs the most detail.

This is just color-tweaked.  I didn't work on the grain.  But cooling and lightening the photo did bring out more of the imperfections, darn it!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

mitzs

Glenna, I appreciate all your help. You have given me some great tips already that have helped me. I don't ever want you to stop helping, but i have to say, I just don't like your version. I tell you why and then everyone can tell me why I am wrong.

First you gave me more work to do dang nabit. :knuppel: ;D Second you could use that poor guys forehead for a flash light. I've notice that several users here do this and I don't understand why. To me when you look at a portrait and your eye is automatically drawn to a forehead or a cheekbone because of brightness then something just isn't right. Can someone explain the reasoning behind this technique to me?

But thank you glenna I really do appreciate your opinions and new friendship. :loveit:

glennab

Mitzs, by all means go with what you feel looks best.

My opinion is that the cooler colors are more flattering to the couple, and that the original photo must have had some nearly blown-out areas or my monitor is not seeing what yours is.  There are definitely lighter areas that could be toned down in my version, but that can be dealt with in a number of ways. 

Don't ever feel badly about disagreeing with Helpful Hannah here.  This is all subjective, and the final image that you're  proud to return to the owner is what counts.  I'm just tickled that you're participating in the forum so much.

Hugs,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

mschonher

Mitzs, sometimes our monitors are the culprit and sometimes people just over lighten their photo.  If your eye is immediately drawn to one spot that is a good indicator that something is off.  You obviously have a good "eye"  perhaps even two!  ;D  In the end I'm sure quality control takes care of it all.

Mary

mitzs

Quote from: glennab on September 21, 2008, 06:07:50 PM
Mitzs, by all means go with what you feel looks best.

My opinion is that the cooler colors are more flattering to the couple, and that the original photo must have had some nearly blown-out areas or my monitor is not seeing what yours is.  There are definitely lighter areas that could be toned down in my version, but that can be dealt with in a number of ways. 

Don't ever feel badly about disagreeing with Helpful Hannah here.  This is all subjective, and the final image that you're  proud to return to the owner is what counts.  I'm just tickled that you're participating in the forum so much.

Hugs,

GK

Ok Glenna, I apprecaite that.  :up2: And to be honest, I love this place and the people here so it is very easy to jump in and be part of it. And after working on this last pictures it means even more to me. Sit with me a spell while I tell you a little story.

When I first started on this photo I was nice and relaxed using my bamboo tablet and just dotting away at things. Then I started on the lady hair and after a while, I was grumbling, Margie said this was and easy one, margie said this was an easy one. So then I got the bright idea to jump over to the gentlemans head because he had less hair. Made sense to me at the time.

So I started on his face working my way up into his hairline, only to realize that he had enough changing colors in his hair that the spot healing tool would not work and look good so I click s for my stamp tool and we are off again. As I go for the middle of his hair. I sample click and then click my spot, hmmm, why is it that color. Hit undo sample again to end up with the same results with that same funky light color. Is that skin tone coming though? So I do a sample of hair further back on his head and click my spot again and what the heck is going on. Is my stamp tool broken? Zoom into 200% and ahhhh, that is when I realize, our fellow has a come over and enough of the scalp IS picking up in my sample. Well I just couldn't help it. I smiled then I started to giggle because memories of my own father standing in front of the mirror with his comb and a tube of V05 were running though my mind. I am gonna cry now. I miss my dad. Yet I am glad what memories this picture reminded me of. I just want it to be perfect for the family.

mitzs

Quote from: mschonher on September 21, 2008, 06:22:10 PM
Mitzs, sometimes our monitors are the culprit and sometimes people just over lighten their photo.  If your eye is immediately drawn to one spot that is a good indicator that something is off.  You obviously have a good "eye"  perhaps even two!  ;D  In the end I'm sure quality control takes care of it all.

Mary

Ok Mary thank you. If noones sees anything eles are they ready to go home?