• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

First Restore, Need Feedback

Started by Taylor, September 17, 2008, 03:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

I've gotten rid of all the major issues but I just wanted to know if there is anything else I needed to do to it before I send it in.  I don't want to take it too far, but then again, I don't want to leave anything unfinished either.  Do I need to try to remove the noise from the picture or is that ok to leave?

Just joined today and I love this idea so if there is anything I can do to make this better, please let me know.

-Taylor

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi Taylor,  welcome to the OPR and thanks for volunteering. You've done a great job on this photo. :up: We don't usually remove the noise from a photo as it makes them look unnatural. Most of our volunteers actually put noise back into a repaired area to make it blend in so leaving it in is preferred.
I'm wondering if the visible white line on his left shoulder is meant to be there? I can't find any reference photos. Maybe our resident expert Candice can shed some light on it? Apart from that it's perfect.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Taylor,

Congratulations on your first OPR restore and welcome!
You have done an amazing job and other than a little levels/contrast adjustment I wouldn't change a thing!

:up2:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Taylor

Welcome, welcome.  Wonderful to have new members jump into the forum.

Your restoration looks mighty fine, but I agree with Tess that the white line could be piping at his shoulder or just a wide shoulder seam.  Candy (our military expert)?  Where are you??

Some of the grain looks a bit excessive, as in at the top right as we see him and on his neck low on the right by his tie, as well as on the tie.  It's difficult to tell.  We definitely try to leave in the grain, but if some is more prominent than in other places, it could be a combination of grain & damage.  I'd just try to blend it in and soften it a little to blend with the rest of the image.

Great to have you with us! Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Taylor

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments.

I found a picture on flickr of what I think is the same uniform:

I'll be trying to add that stripe back in as I also found several versions of the uniform without it so I'm assuming there is significance.

Thanks again for all your help!

klassylady25

Leave the banding and though I do not know the meaning YET it is a part of the uniform.  I've posted a question on one of my favorite sources.  I'll let you know when I get a nibble. 

klassylady25

These are the answers that I recieved.  "He is a Seaman 1st class and a member of the Stbd/Starboard watch."  Also, "If you can see the cuffs, and they have three stripe also, there's the Seaman 1st Class. If 2 stripes, Seasman 2nd Class, and 1 stripe Apprentice Seaman."

Candice

Tess (Tassie D)

Thanks Candy. I knew you would find an answer for us.  :up2:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Hi Taylor,

Welcome to OPR.  You are off to a fantastic start.  Your photo looks great.  :up2:

Mary

Mhayes

Hi Taylor,

Welcome to OPR and nice job on your 1st restore! I had to laugh, but when I first read your post, I put in nose instead of noise, which does make a huge difference! I'm thinking: "Oh, no we have a problem. Guess I need to have the eyes checked.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie, I think it is time for you to take a rest.... :funny:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Taylor

Haha!  I would definitely say that removing the nose would be a big problem!  I wonder if there's a NoseNinga product out there somewhere?  ;)

Thanks for all the wonderful comments and encouragement!

Taylor

klassylady25

Think of the uniform as an information board, much like this one. Each piece has a meaning.  This young man's uniform told someone his rank and not only that it told them where he was serving upon the ship.  Just by looking at him if he was where he shouldn't have been, at the time he was suppose to there would be questions asked.  Everything has a reason on a uniform and that's what makes looking up some of the information, not only fun, but educational.

Keep up the good work.

Candice

mitzs

Candice, that is great information. Are you part of the arm service too?

klassylady25

No, Mitzs, I'm what you would call an "Other" family member.  I love what our service men and women do to protect our shores. My father served in the Army during WWII and both of my brothers served during the time of Vietnam. Both spent 2 tours in Nam and one retired CSM (Comman Sergeant Major) after 23 years so it becomes a bit of your blood after the years. 

I find new things on uniforms all the time and have great resources to ask questions of. 

Welcome to the nut house.

Candice