• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Sunburn or tan?

Started by G3User, September 03, 2008, 01:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G3User

Not sure that I tackled this the best way. After doing an overall color adjustment I worked my way over his skin using the color picker and paint brush to build up a patchwork of colors and then blended them. Suspect his face and upper body are a bit too red.

Would it have been worth trying to do the repair in B/W and then recolor?

Also not sure if I should blur his face some more, there was nothing in the original to give me an idea of his nose and mouth so what I have done is just a guess.

The next one to do is B/W with lots of walls and windows, can't wait.

Mhayes

I think you did a great job on his tan and the rest of the cleanup. The only thing that I would change would be his hair. It looks like the original still has a lot of information intact you could use. Plus, his hairline around the forehead is different. The other thing that I would change is show some light through his sunglasses like you see your left. These are small picks as you have done a really great job on his skin tone.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Athol,

You have worked wonder with this one, there is not much you can do when there is so much important details missing and I think you've done a great job cleaning up and the skin tone is also very good!
With Margie's tips it should get even better.  I sometimes try to add a little more shading by using the original as a top layer/example. 
Do you think maybe the guy had hairy legs?  :)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Hi Margie

Should have said that his hair was yet to be done, I was messing about with the Nagel brushes and forgot to mention it. In the process I think I have fixed his hairline. Like the idea of being able to see through his glasses, obvious now you mention it and included.

Hannie, I have increased the shading on his face and under his chin, better?

Now about hairy legs, I have done a search for a brush so named without success.  ::) Do you have a secret method? Are you planning a tutorial?

Athol

Hannie

Athol, the face looks much better now but I was only kidding about the hairy legs.  It is hard to tel if there was hair or if it is damage.  If it were hair I would love to know how to do that, anybody else know?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Athol, he looks great and the skin tone is beautiful! You might want to consider a slight blur around where his hairline and the face meet.  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Hannie,

First you need a sharp knife to create a 1/4 pixel brush. ;)

His forehead still looked wrong, even with some more softening of his hairline Margie so I have had a go at adding some shading and eyebrows which I think is an improvement

Think he is ready to go

Athol

Mhayes

Athol, I think he looks great!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

mschonher

Hi Athol,

You have done an amazing job on this very difficult photo. The flesh and body look fantastic and now the face looks great too! I think if you would darken the outside edges of the photo and warm it up a bit it would add a lot to this great piece of work. It is a tad poster like IMHO.

Mary

G3User

Thanks for the comment Mary, I have toned it down a bit and done some more work on the face shading before sending it back. I had to get rid of it, every time I looked at it I felt it needed more and more and more.................

Athol