• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Mary's Film Grain

Started by kiska, July 19, 2008, 10:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiska

Mary, I've been meaning to complement you on your film grain ( forgotten which thread ). I've made an action of it and use it frequently. USUALLY lower the opacity by about half. It's right on. :up:
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

mschonher

Hi Kiska,

Thanks, I learned that from Vikki Hansen an incredible lady who's work is impeccable. What I really like about it is that it replaces the look of the pixels color and texture.  A great blending tool when you have to paint on your photo.

Mary

Lorraine

Hi Mary,

I've downloaded your extensive tutuorial for blending skin tones.  It's already been invaluable on my current project.  Thank you so much for taking the time to post the instructions.

I have come a long way in photo restoration, but still lack so much knowledge in bringing my product to the professional level.  I admire your work as it has such photographic quality.

You mentioned Vikki Hansen.  I know her from RetouchPRO, and her work is amazing.  Your work is very reflective of hers.  I'd love to find your film grain tutorial as well.

Thanks again,

Lorraine

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

Mary, what a great tip! Thanks Kiska for the link, as I thought I had bookmark it and hadn't.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lorraine

Kiska, thanks so much for the link.

Lorraine

mschonher

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you for the comparison to Vikki Hansen.  That is the highest compliment anyone could ever give me.  Whenever I'm working on a photo, Vikki's work is always in the back of my mind.  The credit for the film grain needs to go to Vikki.  There is a link somewhere at RetouchPro with the magazine article on her technique.  I'm sorry I can't even remember the name of the magazine.

Mary

I'm relieved that you got something out of that tut on filling and blending.  I'm afraid it's poorly written.  In trying not to leave any steps out, I think it reads confusing.  I invited Candy over for lunch the other day so she could watch me and take notes but I guess the drive Oklahoma to Maryland is jut to much trouble for her.  Go figure!

Mary   :hug:

Lorraine

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your response.  I found the tutorial very clear and right now am concentrating on the prep work portion as well as increasing the size of the photo.  The background is something I usually leave for last, but restoring that first makes so much sense.

Regarding that lunch invitation to Candy -- watch out, I live in New Jersey, and might just be knocking on your door one day  ;)

Lorraine

mschonher

Hi Lorraine,

I'm so glad the tut made sense to you and good luck with your latest photo. I'd love to see what you're doing so keep me posted.

How nice that you live so close to Maryland, it's probably less than 3 hrs away right?  I've often wondered if there were any other OPR members in my area.  That would be an interesting new topic.

Mary   :hug: