• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Sailor

Started by klassylady25, July 15, 2008, 07:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Hi Candy,

It is coming along great!  I think you are right about some more green and yellow in the skin tone.  Maybe you add a color layer and use the color picker and take samples from different parts of the face and neck of the original photo.

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Wow!   :up:

Chris

klassylady25

Updated: Went down to B/W.  Changed into CMYK.  Recolorized.

Better balance?

Candice

Johnboy

Candice,

WOW!! He is looking good. You might darken down the highlights on this forehead and down his nose. It looks like his nose if flattened into his cheeks. To me there is more "feel" in the skintone in the top version over the bottom version. I am assuming the bottom one is the newly colorized version. If I am wrong leave forget what I just said.

Johnboy

P.S. The strips on his uniform look great too.

klassylady25

Somewhere in betwixt and between?

Mhayes

I think he looks M A R V E L E O U S!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

klassylady25

You're just saying that! Probably because you're tired of seeing it!  LOL 

Now you know why I stay to B/W's   

Mhayes

How could you doubt my sincerity!  :mad:

OK, just kidding, but you know he looks good! Let me see what I can find for you next.  >:D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Candy, you are so brave for taking these hard ones and putting up with a bunch of pitbulls (like me).
Your restoration turned out so beautiful, well done!  :up:

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Candy, he looks great.  I like the more vibrant colorization, it gives the photo more OOMPH so to speak.  He also looks younger than the paler version.  I think you deserve a vacation after this one is done.

Mary   :hug:

klassylady25

You know, Mary, with this picture I've tried to take everyones thoughts and suggestions.  You really have no idea how many variations I have of this guy and right now, I don't know where to go with it.  Pitbulls, chihuahuas and more....

Everyone here has their own likes, preferences, and skills.  If I look at this picture tomorrow I'LL probably see yet one more thing to change but that will never bring him to a close.  It's like painting the interior of a house. How many cards of color before finally settling on one that you like the best....... THAT little project took me 6 months.  Since I'm in the house most of the day, I had to like and feel comfortable with the colors. 

I'm not comfortable with this young man but that's because, for the first time in a long time (since Chris gave me 2 little boys to work on) I'm very frustrated with a picture.  Gads, not even General Patton gave me this much grief.

So, short story long..... where to next with this guy?

mschonher

Hi Candy,

I can feel your frustration right through this forum.  I know you've been getting a lot of feedback and opinions and I think that adds to your confusion.  This is the one drawback to posting. This is such a difficult photo for anyone to restore not just you.  As you said early on, no ones face is perfectly symmetrical so that makes matters even more sticky.  Also I think the reference photos are a little confusing because he's a grown man in those photos but still a boy in the original.  It has been my personal experience that the male face is more difficult to work on because in general their faces are more angular than a female face and body.  It's hard to recreate those angles with shading and highlights if you've not had a little experience in actually drawing the face.  All this being said Candy my friend, you have captured a likeness for this guy and that is an amazing feat in itself.  At this point I advise you to put this young man on the back burner for a few days and then come back to it when you feel refreshed and not so confused.  Take a look back at some of your great successes from other photo restoration to give yourself a boost.

Mary   :hug:

Hannie

Quote from: Candice on July 26, 2008, 12:01:28 PM
So, short story long..... where to next with this guy?

Send him home Candy!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

Thank you Mary.  I've posted so much about the frustrations, because very seldom to people really voice it. Even is it is frustrating, it's also rewarding when it does finally come together. AND isn't it good know that if we've stuggled with one then we've stuggled together to grow.  I'm not the only one that has felt this, but I'm dang well near to the only one that is as verbose about it!  LOL 

And Hannie, I can't send him home.  Not yet.  There is something that I'm trying to get from him and he's talking to me, I just have to listen a bit more.  The son remembers him as a man... I see the youthful side of him before time caught up to his face.  The other references give me ears, chin, mouth and eyes but the did not show what I see here. 

Do you remember this one?  From this: I saw this:

I worked a very long time on him because he kept talking to me.  I think I'll keep him for a while longer.  Don't think I don't love ya'll for the words and help.  I do........... but first I have to see if he came come to the place I envision.   :loveit: 

Hannie

Say no more Candy!
(I do remember that little miracle..)

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]