• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Sailor

Started by klassylady25, July 15, 2008, 07:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klassylady25

Original

Mhayes

Candy, great job on a really difficult photo! The background, sailor's outfit, and skin tones look right. The only thing that I notice is the eyes and the mouth. In the original, you are minus the information for the eye on your right, but the other eye appears more like he is gazing over your right shoulder rather than straight on. I would also make his eyes have some shading of brown with the black more for the pupils. The nose looks pretty good until you get to the end and the shading makes it appear that his nose is bent to the left. This is just a guess on my part, but I think I would not show the bottom of his teeth, because it makes him look like he has buck teeth. You may also want some dark browns in the hair. You did a really great job of bringing this one back.   :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Candy, you sure can pick the tough ones.  I decided to play around with the image a little and pulled up more of his left side (our right).  I duped the layer 3 times and set it to multiply, then I duped it once more with no layer effects, flipped it horizontally, rotated it slightly to the right and masked off the obliterated side of his face.  If you bring down the opacity of that layer, you can compare his mirrored visage with what you can see on the multiplied layer below it.  This is really down-and-dirty, but I thought I'd try it.  It gives you a better idea of his entire visage, which is quite different from your reconstruction.  His face wouldn't really be as symmetrical as my experiment, but you could move the features around a bit to make them more realistic.

For what it's worth:

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Yeah, I know I don't play fair!  I like what you did and the suggestions. 

Hannie

Candy, that is a goodlooking sailor!  I like what Glenna did and wonder if there would be enough detail left to work from there?

:loveit:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lorraine

Hi Candy,

I think Glenna's and Hannie's versions are right on target.

I've done a little playing around with his eyes and made a composite using Glenna's nose and mouth. 

klassylady25

Lorraine, I think that Hanna and Glenna's versions give me ideas to think about but no ones face is symmetrical and so I can't leave it that way nor use that method to create what isn't.  I will however,  take all thoughts into the "creative" bank and work with things as they come up.   Each suggestion is a bit more information to glean from.

Candice

Johnboy

Candice,

I am no expert in some of this but I notice that his right eye (our left) looks larger than the left eye (our right) in your restoration. It seemed more obvious to me when I compared what you did to the original. Does anyone else see this or is it my astigmatic eyeballs?

I like what Glenna did as his eyes look more balanced.

The white piping on the uniform should be even width throughout. I notice in the damaged original the piping on his left looks uneven. I wonder if that is from damage. You also may want to look for a hint of a neckerchief coming out from under the bib. (We are still mourning the death of Lord Nelson.) It would be black against the navy blue. (Could be real hard to see.) It may be just a wide line on each side of the V neck as it would be tied with a square knot at the bottom of the V which is out of the picture.

Johnboy

klassylady25

Johnboy, thank you for your observations.  I know about the piping and the scarf.  In answer to your question - there isn't one that in apparent in CMYK or RGB.  I've not tried lab nor have I inverted the picture.  May see it then.  Also, this is not the final picture just steps along the way and since I'm not Glenna, I'm not going to replicate her work.  I will continue to work on this picture and know that as time moves forward that things will work themselves out. 

I was asked (which normally I volunteer for the military) to work on this and I've had worse, so things will work out.  Thanks for your input - all of you.

It's been a very long day here in Oklahoma City and I'm exhausted.  Back to the drawing board in the morning.

Hugs all,
Candy

mschonher

Hi Candy, 

This is down and dirty but I've tried to help out a little.  Last night I worked on Glenna's rendition, loving the way it looked but not even looking at the original.  This morning I did look at the original and worked on that one.  I've sent both just because there might be something for you in either one.

I first made a small levels adjustment to this photo just so I could see the features a little clearer.  I don't like to do too much levels and curves until the white areas are corrected.

I've done most of the work with the healing brush most of the time set to normal and some of the time to replace then blended using the circular technique.

Some areas I needed to paint in a little, one those I zoomed in very close and used a very small, very soft brush about 3 to 5 pixels in size.  I was careful to sample the colors in the specific areas no matter how weird they might appear.  I blended on a new layer using the above mentioned technique.

I also built out the sides of the face by making a selection then adjusting the levels as needed to make it lighter or darker.  I also used a color adjustment on some areas that were to red, on those I just added a little green to neutralize the red.

Hope this helps you out a bit.     Hugs.          Mary

mschonher

I forgot to mention that I think there is a good possibility you could use the good eye on the bad side of this photo.  Don't mirror any of the features but do each one seperately starting with the eye.  Make a selection of the eye, flip it horizontally then rotate it until it looks "normal".  Erase the iris before you merge layers and then select the good iris and place into the empty eye.  You will probably have to move it to the right somewhat.  This assures that both of the iris's are the same.  Sometimes one eye is a little lighter because of lighting.  For the mouth and nose you could do the same procedure but filling in the middle areas.

There is usually one eye's distance between the eye placement.  The outside of the nose area usually corresponds with the inner corner of the eyes.  The mouth usually lines up with the middle of the iris.  Of course everyones face is different but these are good guidelines.  You probably already knew this.

Hugs, Mary   :hug:

klassylady25

Thanks Mary for reminding me of the hint with the nose lining up with the eyes.  As for the eyes, that's what I actually did in the first picture, with the exception of reworking the iris.  Good lesson !!

Hugs,
C

:hug:

Johnboy

Excuse me Candice while I hijack your thread. In Mary's reply she said
QuoteI've done most of the work with the healing brush most of the time set to normal and some of the time to replace then blended using the circular technique.
Mary could you give a quick tutorial on this. I had not heard of the "circular technique" of blending.

Thanks Mary. Thanks Candice.

Johnboy

klassylady25

He still has a ways to go and the last overlay is obvious, but I thought I'd post before going to bed and let you see the progress.   :D

Hannie

Hi Candy,

I love how your sailor is coming along!  The eyes look really good.  I noticed you also worked on the white stripes already, what a difference!  I like Mary's tips on facial dimensions, great tips.

I think our sailor has a little bit bigger chin and even the jaw line seems to me like it should be a little larger.  Almost like his face would be a little chubbier.  I better post an image of what I mean, that will make better sense!
(love the hair!)

:loveit:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]