• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

OPR Ending 2023

Started by Mhayes, December 22, 2023, 01:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Operation Photo Rescue will end in 2023. It is with sadness and a touch of pride of what our non-profit has accomplished. Times have changed and Covid made traveling to disaster sites risky and no interest was shown in our offering to pay to have copies of the damaged photos. Plus, times have changed and cell phones have made saving photos easier.
I want to Thank all our volunteers and especially a shout out to the OPR Inner Team that made our success possible.We will leave our Website up for a year as there is so much good reading and tips. We will cease at the end of 2023 to exist as a non-profit.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

It's been a real privilege to work with all you volunteers over the years. Best wishes to everyone!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

jesterjeni

It has been a true privilege working with such talented people over the years!! This hurts my very soul!!

Lynnya

Thank you Margie and all the inner gang for the opportunity for us volunteers to do something useful with our skills.  As Tori says, it's been a real privilege to work with the wonderful people within OPR.  I will really miss the comradery and friendships made over the years. A special thanks to Hannie, dear Hannie who has helped me improve my work with such a gentle touch.. I wish her all the best during her time of loss.
Wishing everyone a Happy Healthy New Year.
I will miss you all greatly :(
Lynn
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

schen

Time flies when we have fun. It's been more than 17 years since I have been with OPR. I have met some wonderful volunteers at copy runs and many more virtually. Together, we helped restore the damaged photos and the precious memories of the people distressed by the natural disasters. I am proud of our accomplishment and know that it would not have been possible without our volunteers' hard work.

Many years ago, Margie asked me to be the backup website administrator. She thought since I worked in computer development, I should know everything about it. I could not be farther from the truth. The first time I tried to modify our website, I broke it. After that, I was too scared to touch our web pages. Unfortunately, three years ago, we lost our beloved webmaster, Tess. In no time, the responsibility fell on the backup admin, me. I am so grateful my friend Omar was able to guide me or do it for me whenever I found challenges beyond my ability.

I will try to keep the website going while I have the support of our Boss Lady and the Executive Board. Please come visit it often and make good use of the forum.

Shujen Chen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

philbach

Well I enjoyed working with all of you.  Thanks Margie and others for taking the time to do all that has been done.  Merry Christmas to all.  Have a great 2024
phil

Hannie

Words cannot express how sad I feel that OPR will end this year but mostly I feel so proud of all of our volunteers who have done amazing work restoring photos for so many years!  There were some true miracles when a volunteer was able to bring back a photo that was considered lost.

Yes, miracle workers, that is what all of our volunteers are, inner team and all you volunteers out there. Working day and night to restore memories for people who had lost nearly everything that was dear to them.
Working, not for the praise or personal gain but to give and not expecting anything in return.  Those are the kind of people you all are, thank you all so much.

I'm also remembering the volunteers we have lost over the years.

You are the best and I love you all.

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

How do you day goodbye to a friend?  I know I don't have an answer, but knew this day would come.  Like Schen, I have been here forever.  In fact it's the only site I've stayed on this long and that's because of the integrity and caliber of each and every volunteer.  We know who the core people of this family are, but cherish each and every one of our volunteers, too.

I love you all. May you be blessed in the new year and never forget that wherever you are, you are loved and we were all part of something bigger than ourselves! 

Candice

schen

Candice has long been our military insignia expert. There's not been a damaged insignia in the photo she could not find a replacement for it. Her resourcefulness was invaluable to our photo restoration. As a veteran (so are my father-in-law and my son-in-law), we thank you for your service.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Candice

Thank you so much, Schen, for those kind words. Each time I started, I wondered if that person came home,  where they served, and where life took them.  Many were a part of the history that my father was in.  Like you I had WWII, Korean, and Vietnam veterans in my family and that made working on those photos special.  It was an honor to work on all the men and women that served and came my way for restoration .   
Candice

Shadow

So very sorry to see the end of this special group.

Thanks to Margie and all the inner gang. All your behind the scenes efforts gave us the opportunity to be a part of something very special. It has been an honor and a privilege to be part of such a wonderful group of volunteers.

Thanks to all who made the forum a welcoming place to get help with a restore and to share some funny moments. As Hannie said, you are the best.

Wish each of you all the best.

Candice

Quote from: Shadow on December 30, 2023, 12:03:04 AMSo very sorry to see the end of this special group.

Thanks to Margie and all the inner gang. All your behind the scenes efforts gave us the opportunity to be a part of something very special. It has been an honor and a privilege to be part of such a wonderful group of volunteers.

Thanks to all who made the forum a welcoming place to get help with a restore and to share some funny moments. As Hannie said, you are the best.

Wish each of you all the best.

We've all hung on, Shadow.  Hoping against hope.  Still, we know that time stands still for no one.  One and a half hours and the ball is over.  God knows, I've enjoyed the dance!!
Candice