• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need feedback on a warm or cool background for the photo

Started by mschonher, May 27, 2008, 12:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mschonher

Here is the baby pic I've been working on what seems like forever. I think I've lost my perspective from looking at it so long and I can't decide if the warm or cool background looks better, or,  do I need to do something different?  You can see the original in "I need a resource photo" thread.

I've also changed the working color space to sRGB for web display (thanks Margie)  but this time did not up the saturation because it looked way too colorful!  I think I've done all that I can for this little girl and I know it looks like a painting now, but I'd like your most excellent input please and thank you very much.

Mary    :)

klassylady25

I'll be diplomatic = send them both!  :o)

I think a painting is better than where it started.  Mary, sometimes that is the way "our" work comes out.  And before cameras that was the way all the pictures came out!! 

You've done a beautiful work with her, but you always do!!! :loveit:

Hannie

Mary, you have done a beautiful job, it looks great! 
Candy is right, the original is so bad that there was not much else you could do.  As for the background I would pick the first one, the warm white, solely because the original has a similar background.

:loveit:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Wow!  Beautiful work Mary.  And yes, send them both.  Sometimes I've printed two different versions of a photo, because as in this situation, both look great, and it could be a personal preference of the photo owner.

Thanks!

Christine

mschonher

Thanks for the really kind words. Candy, I think it's a good idea to send both versions to Chris, why didn't I think of that.

Hannie, I saw both warm and cool colors in the background of the original, I guess that is what's making it so confusing for me.  It also looks like you found a different arm placement!  I'm not even going to consider changing that area of the photo as it was really hard to come up with something.

I tend to think that when a photo is referred to as having "that painted look" it's  an indication of poor workmanship and I was apprehensive about posting this one.  The most important thing to consider though is will the family be happy.  I have another question for those of you viewing this. What do you think about printing this out on a canvas textured paper?  

Mary

klassylady25

Under these circumstances I think that the texture would be perfect.  It would add and not detract, one bit.  IMHO  C

Mhayes

Mary, absolutely beautiful--both of them!!

Margie

PS I bet your version is better than the original!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ratz

Mary, she's beautiful and her owners will love it :loveit:
Send both, theyare equally lovely!

Tess (Tassie D)

A beautiful job. :up: I think it would look lovely on canvas.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Thanks to all of you who have responded, you made my day!  I'm sending both to Chris.  I'm also going to mention the canvas textured paper to her if she hasn't read it here already.

Candy, don't laugh but what does IMHO mean?

Mary

schen

Mary,

Wonderful restoration you did.  I like the warmer pictures but the cooler background makes a warmer baby.  So I like both.

IMHO means In My Humble Opinion.

Hanging around these young kids, I picked up a few Internet slangs:
http://www.internetslang.com/all.asp

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Mary, I'm finally getting a chance to comment on this gorgeous baby.  No one would ever realize you had so little with which to work.  You never cease to amaze me.  As for the warm vs. cool versions, I like the cool background, because it make the little dumpling look even warmer – a nice contrast, I think.  She's absolutely beautiful.

Bless!

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

mschonher

klassylady25

Aw, you beat me to it Schen!!  lol  And Mary I would never laugh.  My son, who is almost 20, has taught me way more things about texting than I want or need to know.  IMHO - is one of the good ones!

Candy  *wink*

weewood

Mary, you did a great job.  :up2:  I like the warm one, but everyone has their opinion. Maybe you should send both, like Candy said.
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070