• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

This lady needs a dress....

Started by weewood, May 24, 2008, 06:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weewood

Well, here's another look at this fine lady. It is too bad that she has her eyes closed, but I can't change that, or at least shouldn't. I felt the neck line was a little to low, so I moved it up and gave it some accent. I hope you like it, but by all means let me know what you think.  :D

David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

klassylady25

Amazing what adding a body can do!  :o)

glennab

Hi again David

Now that I'm home, I've been playing with your photo a bit, and this is what seems logical to me based on the portion of the gentleman's tie that's showing, the slope of her shoulder (what little you can see), the angle of her head and neck, and just following whatever lookes like it could be dress.  I tried to just push pixels around until I got a soft look with a tiny bit of shading and what appeared to be a comfortable position. This may not work at all for you, but I wanted to give you an alternative now that I've had more time to study what's there.  (Lunch time is never long enough!)

The crop isn't drastic, leaves in the baskets and looks balanced but not too chopped – to quote Candy "IMHO."

For what it's worth:

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

weewood

Glenna, I appreciate the comment, and would go with it, but I can't help be feeling she is not really dressy, so to speak. I think I like my dress (with Kiska's help), and it does not stand out that much. I wish I could get a few more comments, and if they seem to agree with you, I'll redo it. Thanks.....   :hug:
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

mschonher

Hi David, I played around with your photo and this is what I came up with. I don't know if it's much help but at least I tried along with everyone else. If you can use it then feel free to. I fixed her chin a little and her hair too.  You do like the hard ones David!

Mary

klassylady25

I like that one Mary softer and feminine.

Hannie

Quote from: weewood on May 28, 2008, 08:20:34 PM
... I wish I could get a few more comments, and if they seem to agree with you, I'll redo it. Thanks.....   :hug:

David, when I totally disagree with s.t. I see on the forum I tend not to respond because I don't want to sound too harsh, and it is after all just my personal opinion. 
I'll make an exception this time (and you would probably wish I had not!).
I still prefer Kiska's interpretation of what the lady might have been wearing the best, for several reasons.  (the same goes for Glenna's creation)
Firstly, we don't know what she was wearing, for all we know it could have been a pink tutu (insiders joke).  Kiska's dress doesn't jump at you and is not detailed too much, it suits the photo.
Mary's dress/blouse is absolutely gorgeous and made very well, right shadows, everything but for the reason I mentioned earlier less suitable. 
Your own dress also jumps at me when I look at the photo.

Feel free to ignore everything I just said, it is only my "humble" opinion!
I still think you did a wonderful job on the rest of the photo!

:loveit:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

David,

I agree with Hannie's philosophy.  Since this "dress" will definitely be different from the original, a less conspicuous one may work better.  On the other hand, if it is too bland, it runs a risk of looking like a barbershop smock.  There lies a delicate balance we, the restorers, spent countless sleepless nights  :)

I admire Mary's sartorial talent and I like her rendition of the dress.

Kiska, here is my basket collection:

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

klassylady25

Just playing.  I wanted to try Chris's suggestion of cropping and used Kiska's suggestion of a soft dress.   :D

weewood

I really did not want to crop the image if I could avoid it. I liked the photo, except for the lady's eyes. Anyway, thanks to Mary's magic (again), I've come up with this image. I hope you like it, but let me know if you don't. I truly appreciate all the comments, even though I might ignore some. Everyone has been very helpful to me. Thanks.....

David J. Davis

mschonher

Hi David,  Can you make the hair less pouffy at the back of the head or broaden the shoulder a bit, or maybe both of those things?  As of now her body is too small for her head.  I'm afraid I was a little sloppy in my rendition.  I think a lot of that large head is just shadow anyway.

BTW, the rest of photo looks wonderful.................Mary

weewood

Mary, you are not sloppy at anything. I love your work. I'll do my best to trim the hair and broaden the shoulders. Thanks..... :hug: 
David J. Davis

cmpentecost

Hi David,

This has been a fun photo to watch the transformation of a badly damaged pic into a great photo again!  When looking at the hair, I do think that some of that is shadowing.  I looked at the original, on both the man and woman, and the shadows appear more obvious.  In the original, her hair looks a bit more brown, with a blacker shadow.  I think......

Great job on the photo!

Christine

schen

David,

It is looking great and it is looking better in each new version you had.

If I may have a little pick, the window frame of the china cabinet above her head probably should continue below her hair.  And if you don't mind using the texture behind the while porcelain to fill the openings of the cabinet to her side, it may make the picture more lively.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

weewood

I'm taking all of your thoughts and suggestions into account, and will do my best. It might be a another day or two before I'm finished. I've had some family engagements that I had to work out. My schedule is now pretty much clear, except for Sunday.

Anyway, I want to say to my good friend, Glenna, that I'm sorry that dismissed you comments so easily, when all along you were right. The dress was not what it should be. I publicly apologize  to you.
David J. Davis