• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

This lady needs a dress....

Started by weewood, May 24, 2008, 06:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weewood

I'm coming in the home stretch, at least I think I am, but this lady needs a dress. From what I can see it looks like it might be a prom dress, but she also does not look too happy, so I'm still guessing. Does anyone some help comments or suggestions?

David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

Hannie

David, I really shouldn't even reply because I haven't got the faintest idea what the dress would look like.  Tried every channel in every mode and there really isn't anything.  Even the upside down white V-shape seems to be nothing more than damage...
I just wanted to say what a fine job you did so far in bringing back the colors and detail on the rest of the photo, it looks great!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

weewood

David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

schen

David,

Let's see what options you have:

1. Leave the damage alone
2. Reconstruct the background around a floating head
3. Give her a reasonable dress (I think she is older than prom age.)

Then ask yourself: if you are the owner, which one would you prefer to have.  This is not a perfect solution but is the best I can come up with for now.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

cmpentecost

As you all know, OPR discourages cropping photos unless absolutely necessary.  However, in looking further at this photo, I would be OK to have it cropped.  The man/woman are the focus.  Adding a torso or having a floating head would look weird, and as Shujen said, "what would the owner want".  I'm including a cropped version that might work, and perhaps drawing in a shoulder/neck.  Very basic.

Christine

cmpentecost

Oh, I should add that the photo is a 4x5, so if you crop, make sure your Photoshop crop parameters are set to 4x5 at 300 resolution.

Christine

kiska

The girl needs SOMETHING. Maybe suggest a dress?

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Kiska, I like your rendering of the phantom dress.  The crop Chris suggested seems reasonable, though, because there really is no way to determine what she's wearing.

David, you've done a fantastic job of cleaning up the rest of the image.  I have a question: why do you think the corner wall by the baskets is lighter than the rest?  Is is a lighting thing, or is it damage?  For some reason that jumped out at me.

Cheers

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

weewood

Glenna, I thought the lighter part was part of the photo since there was no damage around it. It could be from a light source or flash. That's why I left it. Let me know if you think I should change it.

Kiska, I liked the phantom dress, and maybe she is too old to have a prom dress, but I thought maybe if the Dad was in a suit, she must be wearing something elegant. Don't you think?
David J. Davis

cmpentecost

I think what Kiska did looks really nice.  Better than doing such a major crop.  As for the lighting differential, I thought maybe it was a door or something.

Chris

glennab

David, go with your observation on the light area.  It caught my eye, but if it looks as if it's a lighting effect and not damage, I'd leave it.

Actually, the dress Kiska created is quite elegant and appropriate to compliment a man in a suit. There doesn't necessarily have to be tons of lace and "gingerbread" for clothing to be attractive.  (If you ever see me in lace, shoot me on the spot! Please!)

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

Crop it with part of the dress. Not a fancy suit. Maybe a low key wedding that wouldn't require a fancy dress. He's got a boutonniere.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

schen

I love baskets.  I would vote for no crop and give a dress like kiska suggested.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Yes, keep the beautiful woven (Indian?) baskets and Kiska's dress.  Usually I don't like it when things have been added to restored photos but Kiska designed just the perfect dress for this lady!  Not too plain not too frivolous, it blends in just right.
(I had another look at themagenta channel and this time I noticed that there is the same neckline visible of a dress/whatever.)

:loveit:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]