• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Getting back in the groove

Started by Juliet, May 10, 2008, 04:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juliet

Hello everybody!  I did a few photo restorations last year.  Unfortunately, I had to put this on hold when  I started law school.  I'm out for summer break now and this is my first restoration.

Original

Now

I think it is pretty much done but I would love advice on the coloring and anywhere you think I could improve it.  I added some to the photo that was not already there around her sleeve and hair and the trees by him in order to give the owner of the photo a little leeway when they place it in the frame.

Thanks for your input!

glennab

Hi Juliet

I'm glad you're back with us.  Law school!  I bet you do need a summer break.  And I think it's fantastic that you're using part of that time to jump back into OPR.

This is a fine restoration, and there are only a few minor things I'd change.  There are several white areas on the man's shirt that appear to me to be damage, rather than shaping.  I'd get rid of them.  And I think I'd also smooth the edges of the heart shape completely, because I feel that the roughness detracts from the photo.  It appears to be part of a damaged frame.  I think I'd also try to pull up a little more definition on the stripes on her shirt.  Really minor stuff that I think would polish the image a bit.

Very nice job adding hair to the right of her head, and overall great work!

Cheers,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hi Juliet,

Welcome back to OPR, and I hope you enjoy your summer break.  Great job on this photo.  I'm seeing pretty much the same as Glenna.  I wouldn't worry too much about the heart shaped border.  If you can tidy it up a bit, that is great.  It was obviously in a heart shaped frame before Katrina.  I guess my only nitpick is the woman's forehead area, which looks a bit washed out.  Just some general blending on her face should solve that.

Thanks!

Christine

Juliet

Thanks for all the great comments!  I got rid of the white parts, smoothed the heart, defined the stripes,  and re-did the forehead.  I'm sort of in love with this photo.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to improve it.

Hannie

Hi Juliet,

Welcome back to the forum, the adjustments you made look really good!  (and what a lovely photo!)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Juliet, it looks fantastic! Those few tweaks did the job nicely.  I know what you mean about falling in love with the photo.  Every subject in my restorations suddenly becomes part of my family. We're seeing and repairing important pieces of people's lives, and it seems impossible not to love them all.  Part of what makes this such a meaningful project!

Cheers,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

mschonher

Juliet, this looks just beautiful!  The family will be thrilled.

Mary

klassylady25

They are a couple that looks content.  :o) 

Juliet

Thanks everyone!  I sent this one home.  :)