• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

I know I should be able to ...

Started by Atlantis, May 09, 2008, 03:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

Repairing the damage was a matter of patiently dabbing the spots and healing the scratches in the paper (carton?). I think I can get rid of most of the noise using neat image.
BUT the problem is I know I should be able to get rid of the magenta/purple, and possibly some yellow blobs as well, in this one. Something with adjustment layers and masking out where I don't need the changes. But somehow I don't get it done right. I have Eismans book on restoring so I tried to find the answer in there (select > colour range) and I read Mary's solution for the Studio Girl. And still it's not working for me. Frustration  :-\ Confusion  :'( where is the missing link in my brain?

The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Hannie

Hi Atlantis,

Don't be too hard on yourself, I think the restoration looks absolutely beautiful.  You managed to make a cold blueish photo looks warm and wonderful.  (The level adjustment shows a much colder picture, I like your version a lot, warm colors.)
One tiny pick in an otherwise great restore, the shadow (or was it damage?) underneath on his legs look a little harsh, almost like sunburn.  Maybe you can lighten them a little?

:hug:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Atlantis

That's exactly why I posted  :) it seems there is a circular magenta/purple "vignette" on the left & bottom including part of the legs.

Hannie

ah yes Atlantis, I see what you mean now!  :D
You could use a selective color options adjustment layer and in the red channel lower magenta to -50.  That only makes the purple color a little less but is not really satisfactory. 
I would paint over the affected area or clone (both at a low percentage) from the right color next to the damage because the rest of the photo looks great!

Hannie

PS  I don't know if it was on this forum or if I read it somewhere else, a tut on correcting colors by finding the apposite color and applying that to the stained area, anyone remember that one.....?
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

Atlantis, try this:

dupe image
change mode to cmyk
adjust-curves

http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,759.msg6666.html#msg6666

copy/paste cmyk to your image.....then mask it just to improve skin
Follow layers. If you get lost, holler.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Wow!  :wow:

Kiska, I tried your method but I couldn't get it to work on Atlantis's  restoration.  When I tried it on my version the results were more like your example, which photo did you use?

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

Thanks.

I used her restored version. Don't THINK I left out any steps. I left the cmyk layer in normal mode; sometimes I use color mode.

On the color layer I used the brush at about 30% and built up the color from good stuff around it.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Thanks for the update on your method Kiska!  I was thinking in the wrong direction, that somehow the discoloring would as if by magic disappear after doing the curves in CMYK.  This time I used the coloring layer and healing layer to get rid of the discoloring.  It worked fine!

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Hi Kiska,  I'm intrigued with this method and I've been trying it with no success. When I dupe the background and change it to cmyk it changes both photos.  I know I've missed something along the way.  Could you explain further for me?  I've tried to make my layers palette look like yours but it doesn't.  I'm probably the only one on this forum that doesn't get it!   :-[

Technically Challenged Mary     (relatively speaking of course)

Atlantis

Well Kiska, you lost me after the "follow layers"part but the good news is that with a lot of creative tweaking, involving several colorlayers & curves set to different blendmodes + opacity, combinations of healing & cloning and finally some tips on how to reduce Rosacea from Katrin Eismann's book all of it combined with masks I managed to come up with this :

I think it's done now  ;).
edited to add: please let me know if you think it's done too   :)

Thanks very much for getting me on the right track  :wnw:

Atlantis

Quote from: Hannie on May 09, 2008, 07:55:29 AM
PS  I don't know if it was on this forum or if I read it somewhere else, a tut on correcting colors by finding the apposite color and applying that to the stained area, anyone remember that one.....?

I read something like that as well and I tried finding the opposite color but it somehow did not work on this one. I probably picked the wrong colour  :D

klassylady25

You could lasso the color, use your dropper to get the color, do a control "I" to invert, and adjust opacity to your liking. 

schen

This is the thread about using opposite color.  I tried it and got various results from different photos.  Technically, the method assumes the average of a good photo is neutral gray.  We know that is not the case all the time.

http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1412.msg14623.html#msg14623
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

Thanks so much Chen!  At the time I forgot to bookmark this one.  You are right, it doesn't always work but sometimes the results are great so I'm glad you posted the link.

Atlantis, looks like you solved the problem, looking great!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Quote from: mschonher on May 09, 2008, 11:33:38 AM
Hi Kiska,  I'm intrigued with this method and I've been trying it with no success. When I dupe the background and change it to cmyk it changes both photos.  I know I've missed something along the way.  Could you explain further for me?  I've tried to make my layers palette look like yours but it doesn't.  I'm probably the only one on this forum that doesn't get it!   :-[

Technically Challenged Mary     (relatively speaking of course)

Mary, it may be that you use the menu Layer-> Duplicate Layer, instead you should use Image-> Duplicate.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]