• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

My first restoration (plus a tip about channels)

Started by urbangranolagirl, July 07, 2006, 05:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbangranolagirl

Almost done with my first pic (just a bit of color casts to fix), and honored to join this community. There was almost no info on the baby's fingers. Ok to leave as shown, very faded? do more work? or remove altogether? Any other spots i've missed?  Would love to hear your feedback.

And here's a restoration tip: - Remember to utilize your color channels (RGB).
Sometimes a mark or stain will be almost invisible in one color channel and you can copy and paste that info the other channels and blend in, to quickly remove the mark.

In this photo, I first made a layer of the selection area I was working with. I took a section from the BLUE layer and copied it into GREEN layer (COMMAND-J on a mac) and used MODFIFY CURVES to lighten or darken (it looks greyscale when you are only in one color chanel) til it blended in. I then pasted same section into RED layer and adjusted as well.  Then, back in composite RGB,  I used HUE/SATURATION to adjust overall color some more. I then dropped the selection,  and used erase tool to soften and blend the edges of the selection area, before merging the layer onto the main layer I'm working on.

This made quick work of removing a lot of the blue ink! Hope it helps someone else out there.

Cheers,
jennyb
Red Couch Studio