• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

CreechW11 08

Started by zapphnath, May 03, 2008, 09:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapphnath

Well, I've only just begun doing preliminary work on this one but I figured I would get a thread started for it.
I've got the basic shape of her face blocked out and will soon begin adding shadows, and such.  The hair looks to be the most difficult part.  In the small image, I can just about make out where the hair is.  Up close is a completely different story.  I'm trying my best to not have it end up with that "painted" look.

Any and all comments are welcome and, as usual, look here for future updates.
This one may take a while.
What Fun! :)

Hannie

Zapphnath, you are so brave to pick this one!   :up2:
I noticed when I looked at the cyan channel (CMYK mode) that you can see a little more of the little boy's hair!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

zapphnath

I know it's been a while since I've been here, but I haven't had a lot of time, lately.
Also, I've had to wipe my system and do a complete re-install and just got around to installing Photoshop.
This isn't much of an update as this image is a bit more difficult than I'd originally thought.  I still have to create the shape of the rest of her hair and decide whether or not to try to paint it or, as I've done, so far, try to find a photo to cut the hair out of to apply to this one.
The mouth needs more work, as well, not to mention the overall shadows and highlights on her face.  I'm waiting until the end to blur the edges of the masks and get rid of the harshness that you see, here.
Many mucho lotta much hours left to go before this one can go home.

glennab

Hi Z

I fiddled around with your image a bit and found one thing that brought out a little more detail and interestingly, a nice smooth version of her cheeks with the shading pretty well intact.  I'm working on an LCD, so if you aren't I don't know what your results will be.  I changed mode to CMYK, used Calculations under Image, showed cyan and yellow using vivid light at about 57%.  Also under Calculations, Cyan and Magenta using vivid light at about 74 percent gave a little more detail.  If you see anything that'll help, you can make your combination into an Alpha channel, and then at the least have a template.  One thing that popped out with a little more detail was her mouth.  I've found that if all else fails, Calculations and Channel Mixer can give you some astounding results.  I'll hope this helps a little anyway!

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hi Z,

You are off to an amazing start, but I don't have the skill level to even attempt to give you guidance.  Based on your initial start, I'm confident you will do well.  I'll look forward to seeing the progress as you continue on this photo. 

Christine

zapphnath

Just a little update.
I think I may just make it B&W and try to colorize it, from there.  The colors of the various pieces I've added and painted don't match up as well as I'd like.
I still have to work on her mouth and give her some eyebrows and hair and I've started painting in a new top for her.

It's coming along, though not as quickly as I'd hoped.  It turned out to be a bit more difficult than I'd imagined, when I chose it.  Perhaps I should have done a couple of easy ones, first, to get back into doing this.  This is the first project of it's type that I've worked on in over a year.

zapphnath

Sorry to say, but it looks like I'm going to have to ask that this picture be returned.
I can't seem to find either the time or inspiration to do anything with it.
I suppose it's simply been too long since the last time I'd tried something like this and I can't seem to be able to get into it, anymore.

Good luck to all of you who continue to do this.

See you around.

glennab

Hi Z

I can understand your getting frustrated with such a difficult restoration.  I hope you're just taking a break and will be motivated to rejoin the crew and perhaps choose some of the easier images to mitigate the aggravation factor.  I  had to do that for a while, because I love working on the really tough ones, but it'll wear you out after the 3rd or 4th iteration.  I'll miss you.  Stay in touch!

Bless,

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Hi Zapphnath,

Glenna is right about taking a break and then coming back to an easier photo. Don't beat yourself up for stopping short and asking that the photo be returned. You accomplished a lot for the next person to build on. I had the same experience on my first photo that I came close to quiting, but thankfully I didn't. Even members who consistently pick the most difficult photos to restore, will often take an easier photo for a break and the chance to enjoy a fun restore ( oxymoron) .  When you are ready again, we will be happy to see you back!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Zappnath,

I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving, hope you will reconsider another restoration after you had some rest, we don't want to lose you! 
Don't feel bad about returning your photo, it was a monster!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

weewood

Zapphnath,,,,I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving. I know it is frustrating to restore such a difficult photo, but that is why we are here. We all support you and hope you will return when you have completed your break.  :cool:

Regards, David
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070