• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

May I have a last look by my "eagle eyes" before I return this one?

Started by glennab, April 28, 2008, 01:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi!

Along with watching Moonlight a gazillion times, I've been plugging away at this one.  I think it's okay, but I want to make sure none of you sees anything that might need a bit more tweaking.  Forest... trees... etc.

Appreciate any feedback.

Original:

Finished?

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Beautiful job Glenna. :up:  Hasn't she got the longest fingers!
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Thanks, Tess.  Yes, I noticed those long, thin graceful hands immediately, as I have huge, not so graceful mitts.  A little envy there!  G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

What a beautiful restoration Glenna, it is a lovely photo!  I have an ever so small pick, it maybe my monitor but the colors seem to be a little too red/maroon?

:loveit:

Hannie

edit:  after looking at my post I feel kind of silly, my so called "color correction" really wasn't worth the efort!  :P

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

I agree with Hannie on the red ish but also I see a milky haze around the babies head.  Perhaps an history brush set to overlay would help with that. 

mschonher

Hi Glenna, you did a fine job on this very yellow photo.  I have a few suggestions for you if you don't mind.  My eyes went right to the very red colored wood frame right above the main subjects, I also noticed a purple haze in the shadows especially around the babies head and window frame.  Here's how corrected those areas. There are probably other ways to do it but I did this:

For the reddish areas I duped the image and set the blending mode to color. Went to the swatches and chose a crayola green color. Then image - hue/sat- colorize. Now the whole photo is green. Green is the opposite of red so it will neutralize that color. With the white brush set to an opacity of 10 to 15% brush over the red areas until they look better. Do a gausian blur of 2.5 and clean up any green spillover with the black brush set to 100%. Flatten image.

For the areas that were purple I repeated the above steps but replaced the green with a golden yellow.  Yellow is the opposite of purple so it will neutralize it. I brushed over the entire window with the brush set to 30-35 %. Then using the black brush I cleaned up the spillover on the stained glass.  Flatten Image

Duped the image 2 times, set one to screen and one to multiply, added hide all layer masks.I took away the purple area around the babies head and the ladies arm with the multiply layer, then choosing the screen layer I added some light to the ladies face and hair and the babies' cheek.

The last thing I did was a level adjustment moving the middle slider slightly to the right.

This looked good on my monitor Glenna. One last thing, I made the photo a tad warmer with a yellow photo filter.

Mary

weewood

Glenna, You do great work! That's what Tonto would say.....  :up:
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

Ratz

glennab

Hello my friends,

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I'm going to tweak tonight and send this one home.  Mary, your explanation of correcting color casts was great.  There have been several times that I haven't been able to get any of my techniques to work, and I think yours would be perfect.  Thanks for taking the time to give me that information.  I don't think I'm going to take out quite as much red as you did, because hubby says the wood is mahogany (he can tell by the grain), and it would be naturally reddish.  My monitor doesn't show the purple you saw on yours, so I'm not sure what to do about that.  I guess look at it a little more closely and then wing it.  Candy, thanks for noticing the little halo over the baby's head.  That wasn't as obvious on my original either.

You're all wonderful for taking the time to give this one last glance.  I feel more confident in returning the restoration tonight.

Hugs and more hugs!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

laportelj

You have accomplished a beautiful restoration Glenna for sure!

Jane

mschonher

Hi Glenna

You bring up an interesting point about how differently the photos look on our individual monitors.  Today I was downstairs on my hubby's pc trying to see the video interview of Christine for OPR.  While I was there I looked at some of my pics posted in the before and after galleries and I was astonished at how different they appear from my LCD monitor.  How do we know if we're doing a good job?  The Brindsmade photo was so dark on my hubby's monitor I could hardly see the faces, but on my monitor they look bright and clear. Maybe the people who do the final prints make adjustments to our work.  I bring this up because the wood on your photo was really really bright red and I could see a purple haze in many areas.  Maybe it's time to invest in a good monitor calibration program.

Any way you did a wonderful job on this one Glenna.   :up:

Mary